My 84 BII wont start

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
btully

My 84 BII wont start

Post by btully »

My 84 BII was running fine, but when I turned off the engine; it would not restart.

It is getting gas to carb (I can see gas spray into the carb when I manually work the throttle linkage) and fire to the plugs, but will not start. It turns over like it is not getting fire (doesnt even try to start), but when I take off a plug wire and jump it to the body it makes a spark. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas that might help solve my problem?

Thanks guys,
Bil
morlhug

Re: My 84 BII wont start

Post by morlhug »

Does it turn over? If it turns over and just doesn't spark it could be the top bolt on your starter is gone. Mine used to do that all the time. If it is just clicking it may be your starter is bad, or it might be your ignition.
Finally have a BII to build again!
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

btully wrote:My 84 BII was running fine, but when I turned off the engine; it would not restart.

It is getting gas to carb (I can see gas spray into the carb when I manually work the throttle linkage) and fire to the plugs, but will not start. It turns over like it is not getting fire (doesnt even try to start), but when I take off a plug wire and jump it to the body it makes a spark. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas that might help solve my problem?

Thanks guys,
Bil
could be water in the tank. water settles to the bottom and thats where the pick up is. if you have spark,fuel and rotation and its not water, check compression of the pistons.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
btully

Post by btully »

It would turn over and over and over and spark at the plugs, but just would not start. But when my wife got home I hooked up the jumper cables (even though the battery still showed 12 volts and the engine still turned over); with a quicker turning of the engine, it started right up (weird). It now starts fine on its own; still have no idea what the problem was, but hey it runs again. Thanks for the reply though.

When I changed my starter, about 3 or 4 years ago, I found out that my top bolt was missing too. It looked like it would be such a pain in the neck getting a wrench on it, I figured the last owner decided to just leave it out.