rear disk ?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
texastud1983

rear disk ?

Post by texastud1983 »

I installed disk brakes on my ford 9" and I have not got around to bleeding them yet. My question is for those of you who have done rear disk with your stock BII brake booster and master cylinder, what does your pedal feal like. If it goes to the floor and it hardly stops its not even worth it. I don't even think a proportioning valve would help.
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

HELLO?
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

seems to be that you are the first on here with disk in rear...
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I haven't done the swap but I would bleed them down and see what you get.

how/what did you use to do the disk brake swap?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

If your not happy with the peddle, you can convert to hydroboost and a corvette disc/disc master cylinder. That's what I did on my Bronco II. It was almost a bolt in installation. Youl would probably want to convert to a saginaw pump though....but that's an all around good thing.

Here is some info on the aeroquip stuff and a pic.
http://forum.broncoii4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Regarding rear disc. There is very little to no performance gain. The advantages are extremely easy maintenance, better wet performance, and they won't pack full of mud.
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

Yah, I was just sitting here at work one day and thinking about it and I wanted to se if anyone had any ideas.
I blead them and drove it yesterday and it stopped pretty good, But the pedal has a lot of travel. I was going about 25mph down my street and I slammed the pedal to the floor and the front two tires locked up and the back two came about a foot and a half off to the ground. I made my buddies spit out there beers. So im going to order an adjustable proportioning valve and a master cylinder off of an 86 Mustang.
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

Oh dbrown...
I used rotors off the front of a CJ-7(5x5 1/2), calipers and hoses off the front off of a 85 chevy 3/4 ton and I got the 3/8 thick brackets from bluetorch fab.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

so are you going to to the master first and then see how it works, then go for the prop. valve or just do it all at once?

let us know what you end up with!
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

I ordered a proportioning valve from summit on friday and I allready installed the new master cylinder that I got from auto zone for 26 bucks.
After I blead them the pedal felt a whole lot better. The new master cylinder off of the 86 svo mustang has a bigger bore diameter of 1 1/8" and the bII's is a 1" bore. So the new one pushes a more volume of fluid. So just waiting for the proportioning valve.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

What front brakes are you running?
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

Disk-79 F150 dana 44
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I did the 1 1/8" mc when I did 4 wheel disc and it was great IMO.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.