wheel wobble?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
yodaman1151

wheel wobble?

Post by yodaman1151 »

the past week i've noticed a vibration going on and i was told it was the tires being unbalanced. i took it to les schwabs and they re balanced the rear tires for me. the steering wheel doesnt vibrate just like the chassis. the balance helped out a lot but i've still got the vibration.. any tips?
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

They probably still need to be balanced. My advice to you would be to take them to another shop because Les Schawb Tires are known for half ass stuff like that.
Momentum and wheel spin
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you might have thrown a wheel weight. if the tech. doesn't use the right ones they will come off in the first few miles. I would take it back and have them check it. also have them look for a bent rim.

also when you get your tires balanced have them all done it isn't that expencive...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

well cuz i bought my tires there they do it for free but they told me that the wheels werent unbalanced enough to vibrate as much as it does. it vibrates only at about 40 mph and up. could this be a u joint that isnt making any noise? my cousin had a u joint go out in his ramcharger and it was making a god awful noise... at first i thought it might be the wheel bearings but i was told it would make noise. thats the strange part is that there isnt a grinding, knocking, or any noise accompanying the vibrations.. it just vibrates.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

depending what year your truck is you might not have u joints in your drive shaft. look under it in the rear and see if your drive shaft looks like a CV axle from a front wheel drive car...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
wilber

Post by wilber »

does it go away at higher speeds? Most of the time a tire problem occurs in a specific range. say 55-65. If it goes away it could be the tires. There are more than one way to balance tires. Are the weights on both sides of the rim or just the back? You can put them just on the back and the machine sees 0 but it could still be out of balance. The best way is the dual setup but you have ugly weights on the outside of your wheels.
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

check for worn out bushings in the leaf springs and also in the front end and make sure you dont have one parking brake stuck on parts of the way
Get Out Of Way Or Im Comin Over Ya
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

so i finaly figured it out... all 8 driveline bolts were about half way out... bad i know. i let my cousin tighten them when we swapped motors.. if you want somethin done right, do it yourself!!
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

glad you got it figured out. You are right about doing it right yourself....
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

Make sure you put locktite on them or they will just come loose again.
Momentum and wheel spin
yodaman1151

Post by yodaman1151 »

thanks for the tip