1 ton axle swap in

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
ledfordwc

1 ton axle swap in

Post by ledfordwc »

i have traded for a f-350 4wd that i want to eventually swap the axles into my B2 out of the truck, and i want about 6-10 inches of lift, is there any thing that i can rob springs out of that will net about that much lift without being too stiff, front and rear springs both, i'm going to start gathering up parts soon i want to have everything i need before i start the swap, which might be next winter
89 bronco II stock almost 300,000 miles 4th motor gotta love those 2.9s
83 S10 blazer 383 stroker (almost show truck)
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

well you will probably have to but coils out of a early bronco for about a 8 inch lift. I ran the ones for a 3 and a half inch lift and i got 6 inches of lift.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

are you talking about the late 60s early 70s small broncos, i thought they were pretty stiff, do they flex pretty good, and just out of curiosity will cherokee front coils do anything as far as lifting, because they are easy to find anywhere from stock to 6 inch lift coils, and also if anyone knows, what about rear springs, i want something that is soft enough to flex good
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

8" is alot...what are you building the truck for?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

i want it to be capable off road not like a full blown rockcrawler but good for the trails and maybe a little bit of rockcrawling and i also want it to be able to be driven on the road with no problems it is a driver, not daily but driven often and i don't want to give that up and i also want it to be stable (atleast as stable as it can be for a B2) thats why i want the full width axles
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

the ones i had from james duff they were really soft! Rode like a caddy on the road.
ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

what about going leafs front and rear, the axles i have are already set up for leaf springs, i'm sure the width is not the same, but would it be easier and cheaper to do leaf springs, i wouldn't think it would affect the ride that much
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Dont go with leafs i had them and they sucked big time i will never use leafs again!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would go coils in the front leafs in the rear. if you check out pirate4x4.com there is a topic going right now that is talking about using c wedges to convert a 60 to the ford 3 link setup.

what size tire are you planning to run?

ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

i would like to run 36's or 37's irocs or ltbs and about 4.88 or 5.38 gears
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

one thing I would like to warn you about is going to high on the lift.

the higher the lift the higher the center of gravity and you realy don't need 8" to stuff 36's, but that also depends on how much body modification you plan to do. I know the full width will help but you are still a short wheel base unless you change that when you install the axles.

personaly I would go with a 4"-6" lift, full width, push out the front and rear a few inches, and cut out some of the fenders to alow the tires to stuff.

everyone builds their truck different so what you choose is up to you, just remember what you do now can be changed, but that involves time and money...I think this will be a cool build, when are you going to start gutting the new truck?

ledfordwc

Post by ledfordwc »

its probably going to be a while, i am going to try to have everything i need to do the swap before i start tearing them apart, plus i'm broke right now as soon as i sell my house i will be better off its rough paying two mortgages right now, until one sells, plus i have alot more going on right now thats kinda taking priority over the bronco fund right now, but i'm gonna start gathering parts as i find them, and i might just go with 5-6 inches of lift, i planned on doing some fender cutting anyway so that will probably be enough
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

look at Nobody's swap on the main page I think he got around 6" with the EB coils. also they will play nice with the factory ford 3 link if that is how you want to go.

for the rear you could just get a set of 6" lift springs for the rear and bolt them in...then weld new perches on the rear and you are done out back.

greenmachine89

Post by greenmachine89 »

If all you want is 36's I have 36's on a 6 inch lift with a set of bushwacker cut out flairs. I have no trouble driving down the road. It sounds like a whole lot of work for really nothing.
1989 Bronco II 8.8 rear Dana 30 Jeep front---RIP
1991 Exploder 6 inch lift 33's---RIP
1989 Bronco II Stock with 32 BFG KM1's
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

greenmachine89 wrote:If all you want is 36's I have 36's on a 6 inch lift with a set of bushwacker cut out flairs. I have no trouble driving down the road. It sounds like a whole lot of work for really nothing.
??? to have one tons under your rig is never not worth it.