Can I disconnect my sway bars?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Forest Falls Crawler

Can I disconnect my sway bars?

Post by Forest Falls Crawler »

I have an 86 Bronco II with a 6" Skyjacker lift on it and a 3" body lift with 36" super swampers. In the future I plan to convert the front axle to a straight axle set up. For now I am broke and will be using the stock front suspension set up. I want to know if I can disconnect the front sway bars for more travel. I have not been able to find a quick disconnect set up for the Bronco II, so I am guessing the answer is no, but I would really like to know for sure.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You can disconnect them. It does affect handling on the road. I built my own extensions. I found that with the IFS it seemed to work better with the fronts still connected. loose the rear one though.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

make sure to make a mount to hold the coils in up top beacuse i took my sway bars off and had a coil pop out once!!! it sucked because it the ripped my brake line.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

I have EVERYTHING you need to do a sas, dana 44 front w/disc brakes, new calipers and rotors/bearing, 9" rear with lincoln lock,it was pulled from a running driving BroncoII to facilitate the install of rockwells. All is there, including the trac bar and frame mount for it. All located in Ky.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
onewyr

Post by onewyr »

how much for the sas stuff
AllOut84

Sway Bars

Post by AllOut84 »

I have a 6 inch lift with 33's and no front or rear sway bars and I drive mine daily little bit of sway when turning hard or jerking the steering wheel back and forth but other than that I like it never had a coil spring come out or anything yet.
88 Bronco Duece 6 inch lift 33' BFG M/T's,8.8 rear
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931432/1
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I have lost springs with too long a shock. Definitly use j-hooks to hold the spring in. It is a pain to pop the spring back in on the trail.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Bronco Ollie

Post by Bronco Ollie »

i say take them off i had 4" lift and 3" body lift on my old truck and it was fine without them