Front bearing replacement - xfr case

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Ruffinit

Front bearing replacement - xfr case

Post by Ruffinit »

Kind of a simple question (to those who have done it). I have play on the front output shaft on my '84's transfer case. Looks to be the output bearing. How difficult will it be to replace it? I have the Ford Shop Manual and it doesn't really go into tearing this apart. Should I just put the xfr case from my '88 into it or change the bearing? Both are the same model manual shifters..

OR would it be just as easy to put the xfr case out of my '94 Explorer in it and change it to a manual shift.. Is it feasible? I know the drive shafts are different.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I would just swap like t-cases to get you on the road. this is a fairly easy job and the down time is minamal. Then if you want a spare, you can tear into the old one. More then likely you will have to split the case. Since you are that far, might as well replace the other worn out parts. This could get expensive. I personally would start getting the parts needed to install the manual shift case for install on a later date.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

I don't think that you can change the 94 electric shift into a manual shift.
Momentum and wheel spin
Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit »

Thanks for the replies. Kinda what I was expecting. If anyone else knows about the '94, please drop a reply, otherwise I'll plan on switching out the xfr cases..