Questions for ones who have done 4.0 swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
amberbrush

Questions for ones who have done 4.0 swap

Post by amberbrush »

O.k. I have placed the 4.0L engine from a 1994 Explorer into my 1988 Bronco II this weekend. I am in the process of getting everything wired up and have a couple of questions. I think I have the wiring process down to get the motor to start so my questions lie in the power windows and door locks as well as the guages. Regarding the guages, I noticed in my manual that the Bronco II has a voltage regulator that feeds power to the temp., oil, etc. guages. The explorer does not. It has separate wires feeding to each guage after going through the fuse box. My question is how to I wire this to make it work? Can I put one hot wire from the explorer harness to the Bronco II voltage regulator and get them to power or won't that work?

My second question is the electric windows and door locks. I have compared both manuals side by side but still don't see how I am to wire my existing harness into the explorer harness. The bronco II harnesses run up the fenders and exit near the front of the vehicle where they connect with the main harness. Do I have to splice these wires into the explorer harness somewhere? There are like 6 or more wires that control the windows and locks. I am hoping this is easier to do than what I am making it out to be.