Radio display light out. Help?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Al

Radio display light out. Help?

Post by Al »

'90 Bronco II factory AM FM cassette radio.Works but the light illuminating the station display is out. How do I pull the radio from the dash and then how do I replace the bulb?
Do you know the bulb # so i can purchase the bulb before I pull the radio?

Thanks, Steve.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

WOW that question brings out memories from 1991 when I tried this. I got the bulb out, but could not find a replacement (no internet back then). I just put in a Sony cd player and called it good.

As far as getting the radio out, take off the trim around the radio and vents. If I remember right, its a combination of screws and those pop-outs. I cannot remember if the radio itself has a special way of releasing it like all the others ive installed or not.

The radio has to be take apart and in the front behind the face is the little light,

Personally I would buy a new radio, but thats me. Good luck
Willie Two

Post by Willie Two »

Speaking of memories, I remember years ago working in a radio repair shop ( '70 ) and the owner telling me then " Kid ", get out of the repair business now. Someday we will just throw things away before we fix em . He was right !!!!!
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

There is a special tool to take the radio out of the dash. You can go buy it or make one out of a coat hanger(metal one), or use nails. Put them in the four holes in the face of the deck(make sure thier in far enough), then pull them twords eachother wile puling it from the dash. Good luck with that, sometimes they wont come out especialy if they are old.
Momentum and wheel spin
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

bulb is available from one place in the free world. Dealership. it was only about $2.50 or so when I bought the last one. I was formerly in electronic repair business and figured I could find one on my own,,,,, close but no cigar. Every one you find that'll fit in the holder is either wrong voltage or wrong luminescence.
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
Al

Post by Al »

I got one that works at my Carquest store. 60¢
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Al wrote:I got one that works at my Carquest store. 60¢
Works, yes. Exact replacement, no
92 XJ-wifes toy
Al

Post by Al »

I have no sort of instrument to measure the light level but it appears be be the same as the other dash lights.
I'm happy.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

And that, plus the savings of $1.40 is the most inportant part! :D
92 XJ-wifes toy