close call......FIRE

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Paul

close call......FIRE

Post by Paul »

:wtf: i blowed passenger side head gasket this morning on way in from work just pulling in front of my brothers house, blowed out through the oil return ports......oil all over exhaust manifold and started flaming where it blowed out through cylinder head, i was planning on doing engine swap to 4.0 next week so guess i need to start sooner, but lucky for me i yanked off my shirt and smothered the flames out........ but it really spooked me for a minute, i thought my bronco was a goner when i seen the flames after i opened the hood.......i thought the smoke when i seen it under the hood was it overheating....... boy was i wrong..... but im glad checked to see though...
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Quick thinking smothering it out with your shirt. :eek: I don't think most people know to do that.

I learned that one when I was 5 years old. We were at Yellowstone National Park and our 66 Ford Galaxie had a carb fire and my dad put it out with his shirt.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

At least you're okay. and now you have more reason to do the engine swap. Granted it's under shitty conditions. One of the first thing I bought for my Bronco was a fire extinguisher. Being in a wheelchair I wouldn't have been able to smother the fire out with my shirt..
mekcanix

Post by mekcanix »

I learned about truck fires with my chevy I had to cut the battery cable to kill it so could put out the fire it was not a happy day so with the bronco it has always had a fire extinghisher and always will
Its a Bronco II thing............EVEN WE DONT UNDERSTAND
85 bronc modded up a bit
Paul

Post by Paul »

guys i got an extinguisher but being a maintenance electrician i know that dry chemical extinguishers severely damage electrical components, and i want mine in top shape for the engine swap and since i caught it quick enough i did the most reasonable thing.........by bye work shirt........hello to the reason for an engine swap......oh and so you know i found an 4.0 complete with harness.........out of an explorer made 11/90 so think im in good shape.........hopefully it bolts in like everyone says they do.....I guess i will find out this week..............so bye bye stock Bronco II time for the upgrades to start......oh and i found it has all the springs under it too......hmmmmmm......i hear thats 1.5 inches of lift anyone know that for sure????
cause i wanted 2 inch of suspension lift with 3 inch body....dont want 4 inch suspension lift but was thinking i might have to go that way....

now im thinking 3 inch body lift with explorer springs.........thinki can get 31's that way easy but wondering bout 33.....probably have to trim huh...
Paul

Post by Paul »

well guys i plan to change the front and rear axles too out of the explorer and just install a 4 inch suspension lift, to hell with the body lift :laugh: , if im going to do the upgrade from the explorer to the newer suspension i might as well lift it up where it ought to be for better clearance :redneck: .....so im going with a 4 inch skyjacker when i do it :idea: ........ and the 4.0 is in now, is running good, yet seems to be running quite rich though, im going to put it in the shop and have the wiring checked to see if it was something i did, might be becasue i used the 2.9 oxygen sensor, either way i want it to run the best it will. so wont hurt to have it checked by someone smarter than me on this issue, and a buddy of mine runs a shop so im going to have him recheck it all, no need to cause myself more problems if you know what i mean, 1 fire was enough for me ...... :redneck: , and then it will be time to think about that buying my lift kit......