Any Idea?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Phillippi

Any Idea?

Post by Phillippi »

Well I am trying to figure out the rear spring setup, as well as the front. For the rear, I remember someone saying that you can use F-150 springs as they are 2.5" also. What kind of lift can I expect from a stock set of F150 springs, or would I have to add a leaf to it also? Anyone know?
TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

I cannot give you an exact measurement of the lift(I did not measure),but...I got the needed lift on my B3 by adding leafs from an F-150 to the existing BroII leaf pack. I used the original BroII main leaf and all the other leafs from the pack...+ three leafs from the F-150 pack. I used the main leaf from the 150 pack by cutting off the eyes and placing it directly beneath the BroII main leaf. I made sure the longer ends of the leafs were placed in the front of the packs in hopes of helping to prevent axle wrap(I am running a V8,9" W/5.43,and 37" Boggers, and full spool). I did NO spring mount or shackle mods. Keep in mind that I gained a little lift from the increased axle tube dia. of the 9". I had to cut some of the 150 leafs to proper length and taper the ends with a grinder. The home-made leaf packs have worked so far. In the past...I had some problems with the main leaf of the BroII packs breaking at the tie bolt area.I think this was caused by negative bend of the packs, but the packs are stiff enough to prevent this now...I hope. You can view the lift I got by looking at TNMAN's BroIII in the readers rides. The wheel wells have been timmed and I used a 3" bod lift(helped with the eng/trans/xfer installation).
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I ended up using chevy half ton springs, they have more arch to them than F-150 springs, I'll go ahead and copy and paste my post from TRS onto here about it.
I needed to get alot of lift in the rear of my truck and didn't want to use any blocks. I found that older Chevy half ton spings have alot of arch for stock springs and have the same length from the front to the center as rangers and bronco II's are, so I used 2 different spring packs (one that had 3 leafs and one that had 4) interwoven. The rear of the spring was shorter but I was planning on replacing the bracket anyways. I used the the front bracket off of a Chevy leaf setup. If you look at our stock brackets you'll see that they hold the shackle clear up at the top of the frame, these chevy brackets hold them about 1.5 inches below the frame, lifting the truck about 4 inches. You just cut off the rivets holding your old bracket on and either weld or drill and bolt the Chevy ones on where you need them, depending on which springs you decide to use. Then I made my own shackles for it which adjust from 6 - 7.5 - 9 inches. I ended up using the 6 inch position and had over 10 inches of lift (WITHOUT ANY BLOCKS) and alot more articulation with the long shackles than stock. My total cost was $4 in metal for the shackles. Knowing the owner of a junk yard helps too though.
You could use any combination of these to achieve the ride height and flex that you desire.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s