Body swap

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

hopfully next week, all I need to do is put some gas in it and some new battery terminals. I hooked up the breaks up too, so the only things I realy have to address is the radiator, steering, and clutch. I can probably do a quick fire without the rad. but I don't know that I realy want to chance it. usually when you do stuff like that you forget something and it cost you more money. figured I would power it up and check that I am getting power to everything, if I really want to here it turn over I can prime the pump and get the fuel to the front by pulling the coil wire and cranking it a little.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

I can probably do a quick fire without the rad. but I don't know that I realy want to chance it. usually when you do stuff like that you forget something and it cost you more money.
that's what i did just for a quick second just to make sure i had the electrical wired right and it was gonna start and run, but if your not sure just wait. it'll come together.
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

hey, do you have the wiring diagram for the Bronco? my friend and I have talked and I have the ignition right, but I am not sure if the alt and voltage regulator are correct. how did you wire yours?

I have 2 plugs comming off that part of the 79 harness:

2 clip(voltage reg)
I just wired these togeter and hooked them to ign. power, because this is the way they were in the other harness

3 clip(alt)
I wasn't sure about this one, so I just wired it up to the 3 wire plug comming from the BII......Blcak to Black/yellow to yellow/ and red to green.

is that right?

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

sorry i dont have my 79 manuel and my bronco is in L.A. im not going down that way until the end of the week so i'll see if i have any pic's that can help you out.

now your using the 79 harness were is the b2 stuff coming into play. i just hooked the voltage regulator up to the fender and the wires were on a plug so i just plugged it in. the altenator i think has 3 wires if i remeber correct the white goes to stator and red goes to battery black is the ground.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

here is a shot of my voltage reg. could'nt find any of my alternator.
Attachments
P8070106.JPG
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I am using the ignition part of the 79 harness and have wired that into the BII harness coming out of the firewall. I know I have that right.

so the problem I am having is wiring the voltage regulator and alt. into the BII harness. the only harness I have comming out of the firewall is a clip with 3 wires.

larger black/org strip (not sure)
larger yellow/white strip (not sure)
smaller green/red strip (voltage indicator)

the wires I have coming from the 79 part of the harness are 2 from the voltage regulator.

green (comes from the voltage reg)
white (comes from the alt)

these two seemed to be connected together to the ignition power, so that is how I wired them. I think they tell the altinator to start charging.

the other part of the 79 harness is comming from the alt.
3 wires

larger black/white strip (power to the ignition)
smaller yellow (seemed to goto other accesseries)
smaller red (constant power hooked straight to the power side of the
selonoid)

the way I wired this was
larg black wires together
red unhooked
yellow to green/red stripe

does this sound right?

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

do you have any pic's im kinda confused. you used the 79 ignition i understand that part but im getting lost on the otherside of the firewall. are you using the b2 wiring inside of the engine bay?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

sure do!

ok, in the first pic you will see the 2 clips coming off of the 79 harness. the 2 plug clip I am pretty sure it is right because I know that they were wired to the ignion on positive wire and that is how I hooked them up. I also know they need to get power or the alt. will not charge. so the only thing I am up in the air is the 3 prong clip. the large black wire goes to the alt and the yellow wire goes to the alt. but the red goes to the pos side of the selonoid(constant all the time).

in the second pic you see the clip coming out of the firewall that clip went to the old altinator. it had an internal voltage regulator.

I think the two larg black wires will go together(one form the BII clip to the one on the 3 prong) and the green wire (form the BII)will go to the yellow(from the 79 harness). I think the left over wires can be left unpluged.

so what do you think?
Attachments
bronco wiring 011.JPG
bronco wiring 010.JPG

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

basicly I am just making pig tails to connect the two harnesses.

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

so your running a internal reg altinator. have you checked to see if your hot on the yellow? it look's right but you never know. how many prong's are on the alt plug (at the alt)? my set up is alittle different becuz my alt dose'nt have the reg in it.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

no its an external regulator. it is basicly a 79 charging system that I am wiring into the 86 BII harness. I think I have it, I will let you know today.

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I think I have it right, hooked up the power and everything showed good. I didn't get to start it because the tranny is stuck in 2nd........but I will deal with that in a few days when I get the rest of it together.
but anyway, I got the rad. in electric fan is in so the only thing I got to do is find a lower rad. hose and I am ready to go. the factory 351M rad fit like it was ment to be their. the front end is back on it and it is starting to look complete again. I am going to take the day off tomarrow and go to play golf, but I will be back on top of it on thursday so I will get y'all an update then.

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

had a few minutes so I figured I would get y'all some pics.
Attachments
frontend 006.JPG
frontend 008.JPG

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Holy smokes that's what i call close :cool: .... Hey what happened to your engine it's dissappeared. :finger: Nice work cant wait to see it in action.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, close only counts in horse shoes and hand granades :finger: it got about 3/4" - 1" clearence. I think it will be enough. the only part that is too close it around the strearing box, it is just slightly touching but I can grind off where it is making contact, so I'm not sweating it.
Hey what happened to your engine it's dissappeared.
I threw it away it runs on imagination now :laugh:

golf was just what I needed today! we went to dale hallow close to the TN border......man, it was beautiful, even though I lost about 15 balls.[/quote]