35" tires need help?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
stupidcow79

35" tires need help?

Post by stupidcow79 »

ok i know this sounds kinda crazy but is there any way possible to put 35" bfg goodrinch mud terrain tires on a stock 88 B2 and if so what do i need to do? If it wont work at all what should i do? money wise im on a pretty tight budget so i was thinking a 3 inch body lift or at last resort suspension lift it!
twobit66

Post by twobit66 »

35 how wide?? 12.5 is pushing it 3" body and keep the sway bars on or they'll rub bigtime but it depends whats the offset of the wheel is,what gear ratio you have. but you can get 35's on it without a huge lift.
stupidcow79

Post by stupidcow79 »

yah 12.5 width
bailey

Post by bailey »

You could probably fit 35” tires with a 3” body lift and significant sheet metal trimming. Trimming in front is straightforward enough, but the rear is a PITA. More than an inch or so around the wheel opening is double-wall and into the cab.

More importantly: In addition to any turning radius issues with stock-offset wheels, I don’t think the stock front axle shafts would survive long for any remotely serious off-road usage.

In my opinion it wouldn’t be worth sinking any money into the stock front axle (i.e. gears or lockers), and you would need to regear the axles for even street driving (I would imagine, at least – I drove my ’88 2.9L for a couple of road outings with 3.73 gears and 37” tires and it was really awful). Ring and pinion changes aren't cheap unless you have some experience and do it yourself, or know somebody who does.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
texastud1983

Post by texastud1983 »

YAH, you can get thoughs 35's under there. I've seen BII's with 38's and no lift but the fenders were practicaly allmost all cut out.
If you want to do it cheap you can do a 3 inch body lift with some finder trimming. The thing it you cant trim all the much out of the rear fenders because the wheel wells arent much bigger than the wheel openings in the fender. So you can do it but your going to have to do some trimming on the wheel well also but then you will have to make a new bigger wheel well or patch up the areas that you cut.
A wider set of wheels would help also because they are wider for the wider tire and it will that the propper backspacing