Dash problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
drcov

Dash problems

Post by drcov »

Temp gauge, fuel gauge not working on 1985 Bronco II. Any ideas?
deathmetalandrez

Post by deathmetalandrez »

... im having the same problem here :hmmm: im still trying to track the problem down
I currently own 4 bronco 2's. Three of them are 89' of which two are 4x4 and love em. The other is an 85' 4x4 5-spd
drcov

Post by drcov »

deathmetalandrez wrote:... im having the same problem here :hmmm: im still trying to track the problem down
I am hoping someone here has the answer
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Yep,
The answer is usually a small voltage regulator on the back of the instrument panel. It is a small metal can about 1 inch by 1/2 inch. It is located on the back of the instrument cluster.

This regulator is mounted to the cluster with a single screw. It is very important that the ribbon cable under the regulator and the regulator itself be very clean. If it is corroded at all it needs to be cleaned. The outer ribbon that attaches to the regulator is removable from the regulator. Be very careful removing the cable. It attaches with a push on pull off connector. I found if you used a small screwdriver you can work the plugs right off.

This regulator supplies a constant regulated voltage to the instruments to ensure the accuracy of the readings and to keep the gauges from changing when you speed the engine up and get a higher voltage output from the alternator. This is a known weakness in the B2..

Here is a Pic or two showing what I been talking about.

The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drcov

Voltage Regulator

Post by drcov »

Where can I get this regulator. I take it they go out and need replaced.
drcov

Dash Problems

Post by drcov »

OK I ordered one from Advance Auto for @6 bux. Lets hope that fixes it.
Now I need Tan interior panels. Rear Hatch cover, Back Seat speaker covers and jack and cover.

Thanks for the info :tongue2:
drcov

Dash Problems

Post by drcov »

OK I ordered one from Advance Auto for @6 bux. Lets hope that fixes it.
Now I need Tan interior panels. Rear Hatch cover, Back Seat speaker covers and jack and cover.

Thanks for the info :tongue2:
drcov

Dash problems

Post by drcov »

Well the regulator did not fix the problem. Must need new gauges.
Maybe the temp gauge will get a replacement or check the sensor. The fuel gauge is the one that will be hard I think.
deathmetalandrez

Post by deathmetalandrez »

ill try the regulator replacement right after i get over this tonsilitis :puke:
I currently own 4 bronco 2's. Three of them are 89' of which two are 4x4 and love em. The other is an 85' 4x4 5-spd
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you might just need to replace some sending units...start with the temp sending unit. if it fixes it then go to the fuel unit. I think the temp sending unit is about $2
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
usmc2037

Post by usmc2037 »

I have two BII's, one an 85 and an 89. both had non-working fuel gauges when I got them. Thought it would be a sending unit until I pulled the tanks on both of them. Come to find out there was a hole in the brass float. I dried them real good and then soldered the holes shut. These are very thin and easily damaged. By the way, holes were formed where the bracket that holds them rubbed a hole in the gap it fits in. Have been going for almost 5 years now on one and 3 years on the other BII without any more problems. Hard part is pulling the tank. I also had to replace the temperture sending unit and oil pressure sending unit on the engine. Good luck with the repair