C4 tranny not working HELP!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TC

C4 tranny not working HELP!

Post by TC »

Alright... on a 302 swap the C4 is not working. I couldn't figure it out and a shop has had it for 2 months!
The tranny has pressure when out of the B2, but when put in, it is not building pressure.
Everything internal has been replaced several times, so they are thinking that it might be the bellhousing length.
Any ideas?
It has a new torque converter. And the pump has been swapped 3 times.
Is the pump shaft too short and slipping away from the torque when installed? Bad torque? Bellhousing length. I think it's a bellhousing off of a 77 maverick.

2 months at a shop!
Stay off the pipe, don't forget to wipe.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Is your transmission a C-4 or a C-5 with a bellhousing off a C-4 swapped on it ? Does the transmission have a protruding hump in the middle of the oil pan ?
TC

Post by TC »

Yup, both C4. I think the code came back that the tranny is from an early 80's F150 and the bellhousing is from a 77 maverick.
I'm not sure about the protruding hump. The shop is 3 hours from my house. I am headed down Monday and Tuesday to check it out though. What are you thinking?

TC
lookn4dirt

Post by lookn4dirt »

Are filler tubes same length ? mabey shorter dipstick in long filler tube ?? is tranny sitting flat in truck , too much tilt ?
TC

Post by TC »

It's sitting pretty flat.
It's losing enough pressure that it will go into gear for about a minute. Then when the fluid gets warm it will just slip.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Check this site, you may find an answer there. http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/c4-tra ... _9911.html
TC

Post by TC »

I'm going next week to "rescue it from the shop." Hopefully another shop can figure it out. I am stumped.
TC

Post by TC »

Alright, going with a different C4. I have an add in the wanted section. Thanks for the help.