Towing Capacity

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
supermanwv

Towing Capacity

Post by supermanwv »

Can someone tell me the towing capacity for a 2.9L in the Bronco II?

Thanks

Clark
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Realistically, only about 2500lbs. Maybe a little less if its hilly roads.
LarryA

Post by LarryA »

You should be able to figure it by the door sticker. Vehicle weight minus the CGVW should get you close. I don't think I'd want to tow anything more than a small pop-up camper, small boat, utility trailer. Bare in mind the short and narrow wheelbase of the B2 and should a trailer start swaying your problems are going to be greatly intensified by the small vehicle. Sure, people get away with things all the time until that one time when things go bad.
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

I've towed a 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88 and a 1986 Pontiac fiero with mine, both on car dollies. No problems. The fiero was a bit scary, its RWD, and one of the CV shafts bound up at 55 mph gettin on the highway, and the fawker started to fishtail. It was a little scary, but I just got off the highway and drove the rest of the way on regular roads. I have also flat towed my friends fiberglass bodied VW dune buggy, but I doubt if that thing weighs more than 2000 lbs soaking wet.
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s