Where are you NW WA guys getting steel?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bailey

Where are you NW WA guys getting steel?

Post by bailey »

I was wondering where you guys in the King/Snoho/Pierce county guys get your metal for your smaller fab jobs. The main one I go to (MEtal Supermarkets - Woodinville) I have to rely primarily on the remnants section because minimum order of "virgin" stock is to much for me to use/justify. But the remnants section is generally pretty much hit or miss, usually miss, and still costs a bundle.

Right now I'm looking for 1/2" stock for wristing a d44 arm. So essentially I'm looking for someone that is willing to sell small quantities.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Funny you should mention Steel. I am getting ready to pick up some 060 304 stainless sheet and I get all my steel and such from a local outfit called Metal supermarkets kent office
(253)395-1835
22029 70th Ave. South
Kent, WA 98032-1911

they sell small quanities and they don't rob you because it isn't a full piece. Good guys to work with I am there at least once a month.
they got a www http://www.metalsupermarkets.com
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

For steel I use:

Tacoma Steel
701 east 64th st
Tacoma, Wa. (253)-272-2266 ask for JP

Floyd Equipment
2208 Pacific Hwy
Tacoma, Wa. (253)-922-0200 ask for Earl

And for Non-Ferrous metals I use:

Alaska Copper & Brass
3223 6th Ave
Seattle, Wa. (206)-623-5800

I have also found usable rems of aluminum at Boeing surplus in the Kent area, but I have heard they don't have much any more and I haven't been in there in a couple years.

Good luck
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

Everett Steel is where I go for work and some small stuff, it's not the cheapest place around but it's no more expensive than Metal Supermarkets. The "remnant" area has everything from a full stick or what ever and no minimum, they do charge per cut but so does everyone else.
Other options are Specialty metals in Kent (rite by Boeing surplus) Whiteside Steel in Clearview (most of there stock is stored outside so it's rusty and not worth the price IMO) and Skagit steel but it's in Skagit Co.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
bailey

Post by bailey »

I think I went to Specialty Metals in Kent once (but might have been Kent Metal Supermarkets), when I lived down in that area. The gave me (free) a whole bunch of their remnants - I gave them 5 bucks for the donut fund. Still using some of the angle to this day. Although with todays steel prices I doubt that's gonna happen.

I'll give Everett Steel a shot first, as it's closer.

Thanks.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I used to buy from speciality metals but they have like a $30 minimum now and won't even talk to you for the most part less your gonna spend big bucks.

What I like about the supermarket is if I need 2 dollars worth of steel I can get 2 dollars worth.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Whitesides in Clearview is the cheapest that I have found. You pay buy the pound and they collect specailty sizes that you may not find anywhere else. Like I-beams for door bars for your race car. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.