Drive Shaft

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
The BII Bandit

Drive Shaft

Post by The BII Bandit »

the stock b2 drive shaft seems to be junk (correct me if im wrong). what is a good replacement? it can be out of any vehicle, i live close to a pick n' pull.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you have the cv axle in the rear, yes, you are right they are junk. I got a replacement from James duff when I blew 2 of them in 6 mo. they were around $200 I think.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
eisle89

Post by eisle89 »

about $400
The BII Bandit

Post by The BII Bandit »

what about salvaging one from another vehicle. i dont want to put a $400 drive shaft in a $500 truck.
eisle89

Post by eisle89 »

Look at it this way : you would have a $900 truck .... :idea:
The BII Bandit

Post by The BII Bandit »

eisle89 wrote:Look at it this way : you would have a $900 truck .... :idea:
True...but i would rather pull one out of an old truck for $20. did they make a normal u-joint axle for the older bronco 2s? if they did ill go get one of those from the pick 'n pull, paint it blue, install some new u-joints and call er a day :D
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

get one from another BII.They all didnt have the CV type
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The BII Bandit wrote: did they make a normal u-joint axle for the older bronco 2s? if they did ill go get one of those from the pick 'n pull, paint it blue, install some new u-joints and call er a day :D
I really gotta ask, Is paintin er Blue one of them there durn HIGH TAK sorta things to make er faster?
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
benleuner

Post by benleuner »

I just swapped out my CV D/Shaft for a U Jointed one....

Go look at the junk yard and you'll find one Im sure.....

Have a look at some other rangers perhaps..

You can always have a shaft cut down to size.,.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

My stock u-joint rear driveline was always failing with the larger tires. It seems that I was changing the u-joints every three months. I decided to use a front drive shaft out of a chevy 4X. I had to shorten it then go find the flange mounts off of a 1977 lincoln mark v. Though I think that you can find them on other vehicles that use the same size u-joint. I did it as an experiment, it work so well that i never changed a u-joint in the rear driveshaft. Eventually I sold it and the new teen age owner ended up exploding the front and the rear still survived. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
The BII Bandit

Post by The BII Bandit »

tekatlarge wrote:
The BII Bandit wrote: did they make a normal u-joint axle for the older bronco 2s? if they did ill go get one of those from the pick 'n pull, paint it blue, install some new u-joints and call er a day :D
I really gotta ask, Is paintin er Blue one of them there durn HIGH TAK sorta things to make er faster?
Well i was thinking that if i painted it blue like a James Duff it would make it look really expensive. I actually couldn't care less. I just dont want the cv shaft. yall no wat i be meanin
redneckwelder

mud mud mud

Post by redneckwelder »

if you live near a yard and know how to weld i suggest you try a front or rear shaft from an older toyota 4x pickup (75 to 85) the flanges are the same and the shafts are pretty strong mine works well :D
Hair

Post by Hair »

Try this

NAPA NPR 12833 thru 87

or 88 and later

NAPA PN NPR 12823
1987 Bronco II 5" Hair Brain Engineering lift + 2" body lift 35X12.5 BFGs 4.56s Ramps at 933
The BII Bandit

Re: mud mud mud

Post by The BII Bandit »

bubbaredneck69 wrote:if you live near a yard and know how to weld i suggest you try a front or rear shaft from an older toyota 4x pickup (75 to 85) the flanges are the same and the shafts are pretty strong mine works well :D
do you have to shorten it?
redneckwelder

Post by redneckwelder »

yes you do need to adjust the length but its easy to do