D44 front spring Q's

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Phillippi

D44 front spring Q's

Post by Phillippi »

Well believe it or not, but I was working on the axle the other day and putting it all together. Well after putting the lower coil bucket plate and retainer and bolting the spring in, it way loose. I can move the spring all around and twist it out. Am I missing a bushing that goes between the coil plate and coil or sandwich it in? I have been looking for such a bushing and I cannot find one on the couple sites I have checked.

So if there isnt a bushing, I guess my plate and retainer and screwed up and I need other???

Or are the coil springs a different diameter? This was a fullsized axle and now I have an EB duff spring. What do you guys think?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yes, I do believe the Fullsize coils are a tad larger. However, as long as they don't pop out you're good. When at max droop, the coil actually pivots away from the spring cup. Don't worry about it unless it causes a problem.

And I don't really believe you're working on it.

in other news, I actually drove mine 2 weeks ago.......had to charge my battery first. I'm pathetic :frown:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, there is no bushing. the full size spring is a little thicker, probably because the FS truck is alot heavier then the EB.

I need pictures to believe you actualy turned a wrench....well, that and 5 friends to witness, your grandmother and a police officer to comfirm it was you...

if you don't watch the cheppell show you will not get the last comment...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

also the full size springs are bigger.So you need the EB spring plate and retainer
wilber

Post by wilber »

jason, rmyers makes custom lower coil buckets, might want to look into them
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

He makes good stuff. So far I like the wheel adapters he made. Does he have a website? I will go over to RRORC and check...
wilber

Post by wilber »

dont think he has a web site, but he has a forum on rrorc.

bob is a good dude, with high quality work.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I have messaged him.... Im just waiting for him to respond with the amount. Thanks Wilber :D
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

wow Phillippi you have the same question i had.. about the slack in the lower coil perch i figured it was dew to the different diameter coil... i wont worry now that i see others run it this way thank's i just got my d44 under the bronco. plenty more to go..

later
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

post some pics
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

here are some....
Attachments
coil bucket.jpg
coil bucket.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
coil bucket front.jpg