Yo Tekatlarge

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
mccutcheon4

Yo Tekatlarge

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Yea, Its the same Art. We met at the Puyallup Rec Ctr and wound up being work out partners for about three years. I feel like knowing him, is like a basketball nut, being personel friends with Michael Jordon.
This is interesting little piece of trivia you might enjoy,
we were watching home movies at Art's shop a couple years ago, and when we watched the one of him crashing the Volkswagen, Art told us he crashed because they used to put a piece of tape at the top of the steering wheel, so when the front end came down the front wheels would be reasonable straight. But when he crashed he had accidentally turned the wheel 360 degrees and didn't know it, so when the wheelstander came down it immediatly turned to the right and barrel rolled over the guard rail. Shortly after that they spring loaded the steering to center it self.
Good idea, I'm guessing !

Before it was Pacific Raceways it was Sir, but as I remember it was named something else also before SIR. I heard two of the original owners have control of the track again. It had been leased out for something like 25 years ! Its too bad Puyallup closed, I had a lot of fun there as a kid. Spanaway speedway just closed a year ago also.
What's this world coming to.......
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The Fiorito (sp) Family has owned the property since cavemen wandered the earth clubbin women and dragging them off to the cave.

Let me drag my memory. The original name was: (I hope I get this right)
Kent, Pacific, Raceway, Park. Yeah they had it leased to Jim Rocksted (sp) He ran the track for about 25 or so years. He also ran the facility into the ground. His last couple of years he really let the place go down hill.

The Fiorito family decided to keep the racetrack a motor sports complex. They have lofty goals but they are working toward them. Lots of improvements have gone in and lots more to come. I am a bit disappointed myself as they have not turned the strip around and moved the starting line to the other end of the track like was stated in the beginning. They have also pledged to be a good neighbor by helping with sound reduction. Hmmmm Jury still out. I can deal with the noise no problem as long as I know when they are going to start and stop. This last year they seemed to ignore all of the "NO RUN" times and were a bit arrogant when asked why. I am a wait and see sort of guy so only time will tell. If the land was sold to developers it would make this place a zoo for traffic and people noise and all the urban crap. I would still rather live here than in the city any day.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I didn't know they reversed the track, that's interesting. I live near Orting, last summer I could hear the cars at my house when they ran whatever big event it was. I asked Art about the name, this was his response :

Yea, Pacific Raceways, then SIR, then something new like Pacific Raceways.

[Art Morrison]
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:26 AM
To: artm@
Subject: Pacific Raceway

Hey gangster, did Pacific Raceway have a different name before SIR ? I figured if anyone knew it would be you.

Gregg Robinson
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

It was SIR when I was in school. They used to have high school drags every year. Do they still do that?
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Tek lives close by the track, I bet he knows. I had concidered taking my son up there and letting him run this old beater we have in the high school drags, but he gets in so much hot water lately, forget it ! I'm about ready to off his B2 if he doesn't get his S_ _ T together soon. I just sent an e-mail to Pacific Raceway, I'll post it when they respond.
mccutcheon4

That was quick !

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Yes May 5th, gates open at 2:30pm

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 2:15 PM
To: info@pacificraceways.com
Subject: DRAG RACING

Will there be high school drags this season ?

Thanks
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Wow I was all ready to answer all and I see it was.

Let me clear up 1 thing. The track was NOT reversed. It was a big disscussion and I think just a smokescreen to placate the neighbors. I thought it would be an awesome idea. No more late afternoon sun in your eyes, and the starting line would be farther away from the residences so noise level would be lower. Ah so much for that idea...

I have heard that they are replacing the grandstands and adding more.. (they needed replacing back in the 80's or earlier) With new stands being built it doesn't look good for reversing the drag strip!

Yes as noted earlier there is a all high school drags in May.. On my birthday btw. Viva Cinco De mayo

They start I think it is the first of may with Wednesday night test and tune DOT mufflers required. The wednesday drags go from may to Sept. Also almost every friday saturday and sunday there is some kind of activity going on.

Yeah the name change went from Kent Pacific raceway park to SIR and now it is Pacific Raceways..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Hey Tek, I hiked into the Olympic hot springs by the Ehlwa river, not to far from the Hoh rain forest last Saturday afternoon. I didn't see one tree octopus. :frown:
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

The tree octopus is getting spooked these days and is hard to find. If you go deep into the forest, set quietly for an hour or two you might just see one.. But remember the tree octopus is an endangered species so don't disturb it.
Look but don't touch.. :wtf:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

You know Tek, I had this feeling we were being watched ! :eek: