High pinion 44

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mccutcheon4

High pinion 44

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I bought a set of rear ends of Craigs list today, the front is a 1/2 Ford Dana 44. Do you guys narrow the front housing when converiting to a solid axle ? I have not measured it yet but it looks to be much wider than the B2s ttb.

Thanks
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I cut mine down to eb size when I got my 79 bronco solid axle. Measure it out and see if its around 60" or 66". If its 66 then and you dont want to go full-width then you would have to cut down.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I want to be able drive it on the road still. If the wheels are hanging out the local zelots might get excited. I am picking them up this Sunday. I will measure the 44 up then. Thanks
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I just got the hp44 home yesterday, it is 66" wide out of a 78 F100. What is the common method used to mount these in a B2 ?
Do I have the axles cut down and re-splined or do I buy new ones ? We have a guy that does a very good job of cutting and re-splining axles for a really reasonable price here in Gig Harbor, Washington.
I'm not running a powerful motor, do you think that will work ?

Thanks
wilber

Post by wilber »

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

everything you need to know about a 44.

The 78 79 axle doesnt have tube runing threw the wedges so it sucks to shorten it.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

You could cut the longside weld of the cast end with wedge on it. After you cut the weld, pound the end off and then cut off 6" and pound back on and weld up. Make sure if you do this to mark the position of the end so it can be put back together the right way.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I run a cut and resplined shaft in my 44. Works great. Of course I don't think an aftermarket shaft would cost much more.

You can easily cut down your housing. You only have to lop about 6" off the long side.

Alx had a write-up with pics, but it looks like his website is gone :frown:
wilber

Post by wilber »

ill try and find that write up....
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I tried that also and its gonzod. Alex has a good write up (the same pics even) so check it out. And after that cut and respline the long shaft to eb specs. Mine cost $80 and looks great.