chevy stubs

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

chevy stubs

Post by FatMan »

are the chey stubs to long to use with ford stuff, rotors, spindle, hubs. the chevy stubs are about a 1/8th or so longer. the ford spindles seem to fit good im just worried about the hub fitting..

thank's
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I'm not sure, but you know there is one way to find out...are you planning on buying them or do you already have them laying around? I know the ttb ones are the same length.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

okay i've been doing some more research and i think it'll work out i was reading a thread i started awhile back and when Nobody did hid chevy knuckles he used knuckle, spindle, and stub shaft, and for rotors. he says the ford and chevy spindles are the same i think if i read it right. i have all ford stuff except the axle shafts i bout have chevy stubs. the chevy stub seems to ride fine on the ford spindle so the question know is will the 1/8th or so extra length of the chevy stub allow me to install the hub's. we'll find out after work..

DBrown wrote:I'm not sure, but you know there is one way to find out...are you planning on buying them or do you already have them laying around? I know the ttb ones are the same length.
yep i have everything and im going to attempt to put it together after work but irst i have to finish my rear bumper will post pic's if it works.. latta
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

The distance from the center of the u-joint to the seal seat is shorter on the GM shafts that I have than on the 35 or 44 TTB shafts by aprox 1/8 inch. The ears on the GM 44 are also thinner. I don't have pics on my web page yet. I put a GM 44 spindle, caliper plate, brakes and a 44 TTB hub, rotor, and outer shaft on a 35 TTB knuckle. What other parts are you using and whats it's going on.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

i have a eb d44 with 79 bronco rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, and spindles, and hubs. i was measuring from the back of the round backing plate where the axle shaft seal sets against. i think it'll work the only difference between what your doing is you used the chevy spindles...
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, there are basicly 2 popular ways to do disk brakes on an EB 44. one is to use chevy small bearings spindals, chevy caliperbrackets, and chevy calipers with the ford hub and rotor. the other way to do it is to use a knuckle out from a 78-79 bronco. I did the bronco conversion also because I had it all laying around so it was free except the new ball joints and one new caliper. I know your stock EB axle will work with the setup, but I intended to use the larger 297 style joint so I just broke down the 79 shafts and intend to buy new inners. but while I was gutting an 81 TTB bronco I found that the outers were almost identicle. the only difference in the grove where the retaining clip holds is about 1/8" out farther. I don't think it will matter though.

I do know if you do a knuckle out on the chevy stuff it is recomended that you use the chevy outer but I am not 100% about using it with the ford stuff.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

the only chevy parts i have are the stub shafts... im going to put it together this sat and i'll let ya know how it works out.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

well i haven't had much time to get around to this yet. i will be getting some work done this weekend so to add to my question cuz this week i'll be testing this out...

i have some ford stubs that are from a fullsize bronco and they seem bigger than the Chevy stubs. im pretty sure that the u-joints are bigger but what i was looking for is if the fullsize stubs can be mated to the EB inner shafts??? would i need custom u-joints or just different size end caps for the u-joints? this is just in case the Chevy stubs don't work out....