Is there a clutch adjustment ?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mccutcheon4

Is there a clutch adjustment ?

Post by mccutcheon4 »

The clutch in my 1985 B2 started slipping yesterday on the way to the local
pull-a-part. The pedal is all the way at the top of its stroke with no free play. Is there an adjustment on these type of clutches ? The manual I
have, mentions nothing about being able to adjust them in any way.
It seems hokey to me.

My sons 1984 B2 clutch has about 3/4 of an inch of free play at the top.

Thanks
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

its a hydrolic clutch so there is not adjustment but you may want to try and bleed the line as it may have gotten air in it also check the fluid level on the driver side firewall
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Thanks Dreded.

The reservoir is full. I will try bleading the system.

If the flywheel is surfaced by .010-.030, it could throw the entire geometry of the clutch release off, am I wrong ?
If the throw out bearing has to reach further to release the pressure plate, the pedal would be higher inside the vehicle. Some type of adjustment sure would have been nice.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

If you had air in the system the clutch would not disengage and would not allow you to shift, not slip the clutch. The resurfaced flywheel should not make a difference. The hydraulic slave would take up the slack by using a little more oil. Thus if it was to much travel for the slave it would not totally disengage the clutch, not allowing you to shift.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

5.0, That makes sense. I don't beleive there is air in the system.
I am confused about the pedal being tight at the top, no free play.
I think this is slighty disingaging the pressure plate which would make the clutch slip.

When a clutch wears, the pressure plate fingers protrude less which make me think that the pedal should be lower, not higher with a worn out clutch.

Is that correct ?

Thanks
drewski15

clutch bleeding

Post by drewski15 »

I found out yesterday that my clutch slave is broken (leaking fluid when pedal is depressed) I was wondering if anyone would explain in depth how to bleed the clutch system on the external clutch (84 year). The haynes book i have says you have to buy a prebled system from ford because it cannot be bled in service. I cant believe that it just doesnt make much sense. Thanks
"Dont call him a cowboy until you've seen him ride"
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

If you have recently changed the clutch, then I appears that something is incorrect in the install. Though I am not sure what it could be unless something was stuck between the slave and the throwout bearing. You are correct though, on the wear theory. It should be getting closer to the floor. My guess would be that they didn't reinstall the shim plate inbetween the engine and trans.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

5.0, I am going to look at the clutch a little closer this weekend. It does have the block plate, If that's what you mean by shim plate ? Its the sheet metal cover that is installed between the back of the engine block and the bell housing and usually has the small removable inspection cover at the very bottom.

I have not installed a new clutch.

Do you have a 5.0 in a Ranger ?
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

It is in progress, I have all the goodies for the install. At least it is sitting on the full size axles now. One project at a time.

The block plate, as you call it, is what I was talkin about.

The shaft from the clutch pedal to the slave, I don't remember if it was adjustable, something to look at before the big clutch job. :redneck:
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Thanks 5.0
I was over looking at members rides, Is that a Odyssey on the trailer
in front of the Bronco ?

I have two FL350s I'm going to put on e-bay and Craigs list soon.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

That is a Honda pilot. 1988 series.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

I used to spend a lot of time at the dunes in Oregon. I ate shit really bad, in 2001 on a TE610 Husky, basically broke my neck. Things like that tend to slow me down. I still have an old YZ426 and the two Odysseys but have only rode once since last Memorial day.
I'm getting really stinking old,and these Broncos seem more my speed, they are really cheap and I am enjoying the learning curve. I have been devouring every piece of information I can find on them.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Figured out the clutch slipping problem tonight, The problem is an oil leaking 2.8 !

Damn, these little motors like to leak.