2.8 Valve cover gaskets

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mccutcheon4

2.8 Valve cover gaskets

Post by mccutcheon4 »

What type or brand valve cover gaskets do you guys have the best luck with ? From reading other post heres, it seems the 2.8s valve covers can be a challenge to seal up.

I usually use Felpro gaskets on my 302&351s with good luck.

We are going to do a valve adjustment on my sons 1984 B2 this afternoon.

Oh yea, one more question, will 2.9 valve covers fit on a 2.8 ?
My son has been eyeballling a set of chrome covers on a spare 2.9 we
have.

Thanks
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Either rubber or cork ones seem to work good for me. Carquest and Napa brands.If you do the regular valve adjustments they normally don't leak. The 2.9's don't bolt up to 2.8 heads.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Thanks 5.0
Michael99

Post by Michael99 »

I guess it is to late now because you have done the work but the best gaskets to use would be the felpro rubber gaskets. Oh and dont use them dry because they will leak and I know from experience. Use some Black rtv sealent and apply it to the top and bottom of the gasket and when you tighten the valve cover bolts down you will see the excess ooze out which is a good thing. But that is the only way I have ever gotten the covers to not leak. I rebuilt my 2.8 and they leaked when the gaskets where applied dry and after using the black rtv sealent it has been a whole year and not a drop of oil! :redneck:
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

Thanks.

Actually we didn't get them done last weekend as planned, so your tip will still be of help.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

My son and I finally did the valve adjustment today. I think we have a problem with worn out rocker arms, The valves were all very close to spec. I=.014 and E=.016 While adjusting number 2 cylinder I noticed the exhaust rocker was sloppy on the shaft. Are worn rocker arms common on a 2.8 ?

The good news is, we have absolutly no leaks from the valve covers ! We used Felpro rubber valve cover gaskets and just a very light skim coat of black RTV on the rocker cover side only.
mekcanix

Post by mekcanix »

by the way 2.9 covers will bolt on too a 2.8 just the 2.9's have a extra bolt hole thats all
Its a Bronco II thing............EVEN WE DONT UNDERSTAND
85 bronc modded up a bit
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

No leaks from the valve covers, but we don't dare park this thing on anyone driveway, the crank pulley seal is leaking bad.
deathmetalandrez

Post by deathmetalandrez »

cork and a good old tube of rtv worked great on my 2.8 :D
I currently own 4 bronco 2's. Three of them are 89' of which two are 4x4 and love em. The other is an 85' 4x4 5-spd