85 tranny question

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Marq

85 tranny question

Post by Marq »

Hey guys, I have two 85 BII's ones a regular stripped down model and the other is the XLT version. Well coming home from the lake the other day I had to head up a really steep canyon, and the best speed I could do was 35 :frown: in the XLT BII. Now taking the other BII up the same canyon about a month back it worked great and I was able to keep a good 50-60 speed.

My question is this; I noticed that the transmissions are different, ones a Mitsubishi and ones something else :confused: (was told its a Mazda but who knows), Do any of you know which trans is better stock, or if one just sucks? :hmmm:

(BTW the motor on the reg BII died :frown: so i can pull the trans and think i might because i just put a new clutch/Press plate/Fly wheel/slave cyl/hydo tube in it.)
desrt_rat

Post by desrt_rat »

i think the Mazda tranny is the best myself.
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

The info I have is that the two std. trannys that were used in 85 were the FM-145 door code D and the TK-5 door code 5. The M5OD R1 is said not to be available until 88 door code M.

The TK was an upgrade tranny and has a lower first gear and overdrive.

I would also check your axle ratios. You could have 3.45's in one and 3.73's in the other.

There was a TK-4 door code X but that was a 4-speed. If both trannys are 5-speeds it is not that tranny.
Marq

Post by Marq »

I think i have the FM-145 in the Reg BII, I looked around on the net today and found some more info on it and that lookes to be mine.

What would you do in my postion, I know i need to replace the clutch in the XLT, so should i keep the trans thats in it in it and spend the money for the new clutch/Pres plate/ect... or just put in the FM-145 that has a new cluth/pres/fly/slave...

BTW im getting 20 MPG in the xlt atm. kick ass huh. :D
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

Its likely that your XLT has the 3.45 gear ratio, which would explain the good mileage and the lack of grunt uphill.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If the tranny in the xlt works, and doesn't make any funny noises, like a spun bearing, don't go through the trouble to put another BII tranny in it, just replace the clutch stuff. Unless your tranny is broke, its not worth the effort to swap a TK out for a FM-145, both are weak (I have the FM146, they last but aren't great). The TK was made by mazda I think. Just make sure to downshift sooner to put the engine back in the powerband. The 2.8 and the 2.9 don't exactly have the best low end torque.
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

check the gear ratio between the two. Check the code onthe door sticker
Marq

Post by Marq »

I can check the door code on the REG but the XLT has had the driverside door replaced.

One other thing, im removing the body and everything else on the reg, im going to put a 302 on the frame and then build a tube steel body around it. that way i can have it legal, long story but where i am they wont let you swap engiens into the same body, go figure. whis me luck.