fast idle , i mean fast

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
redneckwelder

fast idle , i mean fast

Post by redneckwelder »

:mad2: my 88 b2 is runnin about 2000 rpm and wont run any lower the only thing ive done aside from body lift (yes i redid the ground strap) is a hiflow cone filter it ran good for a couple days then bam low idle is 2000 rpm what did i forget (stupid :flipoff: computers)
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

does it run fine other wise?

my money goes on the idle air control valve or a vacume leak. some of those vacume lines are plastick and can break easy. check those first and then go for the IAC...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
redneckwelder

Post by redneckwelder »

all new vac lines but the same way no loss of power or anything just 2000rpm
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Did I hear you say you just put the body lift on and now there is a fast idle?

If so I would be suspecious that your throttle cable has been pinched,pulled,or is under stress....

Try disconnecting the cable and see if the rig will idle then.

Just a thought.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
bower100

Post by bower100 »

You say it ran good ... as in fine... for a couple days after the body lift, then BAM it starts this high idle thing?

Did you by chance disconnect the battery for some reason before the high idle issue?

I did a body lift and had the battery leads off for several hours to clean things up there at the same time. Upon start-up and for a few weeks, I had idling issues with the bII. ( However never a 2000 rpm high idle). I had, and still do have to a lesser extent, a fluxuating/searching idle on cold start-up. I also had and it's healed itself, an occasional, temporary, almost stall, low idle that recovered quickly.

I'm probably gonna use all the wrong terminology here but, I, ...thought, ... I, ... read, ... somewhere, :
the engine managment computer has default parameters in which it's given to define what values it's expected to recieve from the various sensors on the truck. Similarly, devises who's purpose is to control the engine, like a Ilde Air Control valve, is designed to react to a signal sent from the comuper in an exact...sort-of "calibrated" fashon.If all is not alright with one or more of these sensors or actuators, as in, sorta "out of calibration"... as opposed to, just plain "not working", the computer will with time adjust to the "skewed" value it's getting from the offending sensor(s) or adjust to the unexpected results it's getting from a actuator.

In plain words, it'll run better with time. If thats true, it explains whats happened to my truck because, while it's not perfect, it's much better.

This only applies IF you had removed power to the computer... and mayby it has to be for a significant amount of time. I don't know.

'Course, I also could be full of crap, :D , because now, to get it started, the stinkin' thing always prefers two short cranking cycles, (where it fires right up on the second crank), as opposed to one long, like eight second, cranking cycle, , ( where it stumbles and "almost fires off" several times), before finally starting.

Tell me I ain't having fun with this truck. :D

Mayby the injectors are dirt..... dave
plowboy

Post by plowboy »

I would start with the throttle cable to make sure it's not bound up somewhere. Then check IAC and Throttle position sensor.

Just my .02
Can't think of anything witty, intelligent, or cool to say...guess I'm just stupid.
redneckwelder

Post by redneckwelder »

:D iac was the problem now im ready for tellico :redneck: