fabrication assistance needed

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bartmantom

fabrication assistance needed

Post by bartmantom »

well, I'm trying to get my B II finished, I need some parts fabricated and have no idea on how or where to get it done. So if there is anyone out there who would be willing to help out, I can pay a little $$ or trade mechanic work for fab work. or I have parts to trade.
I'm going with full width full size axles, going with leafs in the front and need spring mounts fabricated for the front, need to have the spring perches relocated in the rear, need bracket/adapters?? made for mounting the early bronco tranny crossmember.

I also need engine mount adapters and steering linkages built.
Attachments
wanting to try these motor mount adapters, or should I just buy some motor mounts??
wanting to try these motor mount adapters, or should I just buy some motor mounts??
motormount.gif (4.84 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You are missing some measurements
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

bartmantom,

Like Ranger 5.0 said, you need a bit more info to build that part.

Now don't take this wrong but you need to furnish the info a builder needs to construct your part. I am going to list just a few things here.

1# there are very few dimensions shown.
2# what are the hole diameters?
3# the 7in dimension, as shown on the print indicates 7in to the edge of the hole. Is it really to the edge or is it 7in from center to center?
4# what are the rest of the dimensions?
5# is this just a piece of (insert thickness here) flat plate or are there other bends and such?
6# what are the dotted lines showing?

As I said I am not trying to rant just trying to help ya along. As a fabricator if you came into my shop and showed me that drawing and asked me to build it I would quote you something like 500 bucks for making a 1 off part. The real cost is for me to figure out all of your missing info. If I built the part guessing what the numbers are and quoted ya 20 bucks. You would be back camped on my door after trying to install it telling me it didn't fit and then wasting hours of my time trying to get it to fit!

So go measure the dimensions post them here and I bet someone (maybe even myself) might be able to whip up a set for you.

So there ya go I really hope this info helps ya out.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

That picture is a generic one that has been around a long time to use 2.9L motor mounts with a v8. The missing info is due to this being a piece that you have to make and customize to your specific situation (at least thats how it was described to me). The single hole and dowel hole were to be cut out after the plate was bolted to the v8 and dropped to the already mounted (to the frame) motor mounts. Then mark and drill as needed.

If there is someone here that has made the mounts before and can measure all that is required, then making a set would be much faster im guessing.
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

I know there are dimensions missing from the pic, it was just for reference. I need help figuring it out and making them. I'll take a tape measure out and try and give more info on the motor mounts. about the only thing I know for sure is that I would want it made from 1/4" steel.
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

also please note there is alot more than just the motor mounts that need to be done.
Ranger Dave

when i did mine

Post by Ranger Dave »

i made the plates as pictured(without the stud hole) and bolted it to the block.Mine was a 4cyl truck so i used those mounts.Put the engine and trans(C5) in and bolted the trans to the crossmember in the original location.I put some grease on the motor mount stud and lowered the engine down so it put a grease make on the adapter plate.Pick the engine up a little,take the plate off and drill where the grease spot is.Out the plate back on and lower the engine down, DONE
Ranger Dave

when i did mine

Post by Ranger Dave »

i made the plates as pictured(without the stud hole) and bolted it to the block.Mine was a 4cyl truck so i used those mounts.Put the engine and trans(C5) in and bolted the trans to the crossmember in the original location.I put some grease on the motor mount stud and lowered the engine down so it put a grease make on the adapter plate.Pick the engine up a little,take the plate off and drill where the grease spot is.Out the plate back on and lower the engine down, DONE.And theres plenty of room for exh.

http://media.putfile.com/ranger59
redneckwelder

Post by redneckwelder »

you can always cheat and goto advance adapters for your needs they might even be able to help with front axle as far as the rear lift the b2 install new axle where you want make sure its square then weld in the gaps with 3x3x1/4 square tube steel it worked on my ranger with dana 60 the front is a strip off of a jeep but almost the same
bartmantom

Post by bartmantom »

Ranger Dave, do you have any measurements on the motor mount adapters?
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I have read that motor mounts off of early 70's ford vans work. I have the motor mount but have not tried it out yet. They have a stud coming out the bottom to drop into the existing motor mount hole.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I made a set like that. First I made a set that had slots front to rear for the stud and dowel so I could adjust the engine's position, then I marked where in the slot it was and lifted the motor up took off the plates and used them as templates to make one like what you have pictured. They are actually really simply to make. I used a metal cutting wheel on a table saw and a few drill bits, you could do it with an angle or die grinder too though. If you don't have those simple tools or know some one who does this is going to be a big project to tackle.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s