which hole???

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
FatMan

which hole???

Post by FatMan »

im about to grind the tranny cross member rivots out and i was wondering which hole i use to mount the rad arm brackets? is it one of the rivot holes or the hole thats already there? does the forward hole of the rad arm bracket go to that hole in the frame or the aft hole of the rad arm bracket go to it?

sorry if this is confusing..
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

If you can I would try to center the front axle up first with the mounts on the ends of the raduis arms and see which on lines up with the existing hole the best. I believe the front hole of the brackets I used lined up for my application.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I've seen the hole placement slightly different on different BII's.

Mine landed right under a hole. Others the bolt actually will go right in the hole. I agree with Ranger5.0 though, get the axle up there and put it where YOU want it.

When I do it again, I'm going to try to move the axle forward at least an inch. More if it won't affect steering. It really helps with the firewall clearance and all the flex you get from a wristed arm.

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

cool will do just have to finish grinding those stupid rivets. :mad2:
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i've done 3 sas swaps, 83 ranger,90 B2 and a 98 ranger and none of the holes would line up

http://photothru.com/shared_a_view_thum ... p?id=13356
bailey

Post by bailey »

On my 88, I aligned the rear hole of a 78-79 Big Bronco drop bracket with the center frame hole of the "inverted bolt-hole triangle". If you go to the link below and look at the 3rd picture down, you can see what I mean. This gave me exactly 94" wheelbase, which I believe is stock B2. I hade to add a slight spacer (10g steel) between the bracket and frame to get the holes to align. I also had to trim the e-brake cable bracket. Of course, your bracket and frame may be entirely different. Finally, if I could do it over again, I too would kick the front axle forward a just a tad.

http://www.chrisbailey.freeservers.com/b4/b2_002.htm
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

My mounts are off of the 1977 and mounted to the bottom of the frame like some of the pictures that Ranger Dave put up. I couldn't tell you how the 78-79 mounts line up.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i used a sawsall and cut my spring bucket and added a 79 bronco shock mount.The hole in the shock mount lined up with a hole in the frame and i welded it to the srping bucket.The shocks are from a 93 wrangler and fit perfect,the right lenght and everything

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

nice work Ranger Dave i may use that idea cuz i have a set of those shock towers laying around.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I too have those shock towers but my shocks from duff (long eb ones) have the hortizontal attach not the stud mount!!!
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

hey bailey you have some more pic's of your cross tranny member???

yesterday and today i was looking for your site and happened to check the link above. i couldn't remember who's bronco i was looking for just remembered the rig on those big ass 6x6 stumps...lol..
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I also used the 77's Shock mounts. The coil buckets from the 77 were also installed. The buckets sit hight on the frame and had a clamp to mount the upper coil to the bucket.
Attachments
Track bar 2.jpg