steering

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
wilber

steering

Post by wilber »

I have a fullwidth hp 44 in the front of my b2, the stock tie rod is bent in a u shape :finger: and its 100bucks from autozone. There is no doubt in my mind i will break another. My question is what steering should i go with? Its trail only rig. I have 12' of 1.5" dom to use. Should i go with heims and drill out the knuckels? Or should i get some one ton tre's. What do you guys think.
mccutcheon4

Post by mccutcheon4 »

This is not an answer to yuor question, sorry. I have a question for you though,
How did you mount the hp44 in your B2 ? Coils, leafs, or ? We want to be able drive it on the street still.

Thanks
alx

Post by alx »

dont even fawk with the heims :puke: go with the chevy TRE's and be done with it :redneck:
wilber

Post by wilber »

why would i liseten to a newbie like you.....

what is the cost of the chevy 1 tons, can i mount them stock, or do i have to ream for them
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

You will have to ream them.(for the chevy parts) But they might be cheaper in the long run. EBSteve buys his with life time warrenties. So they are replaced for cheap or nothing at all.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

alx wrote:dont even fawk with the heims :puke: go with the chevy TRE's and be done with it :redneck:
Another lost sheep returns home. How are you alex?

Anyway, if I had the time and $$$ (I already have the ford stuff) I would go with the cheby.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I run the chevy stuff and have been very happy. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. Especially if you buy the tools to make your own.

The 1.5 DOM is overkill. Even with the standard 1.25 DOM, you'll find the TRE's will bend/break before the tube bends.

Check this link for lots of info
http://www.broncofix.com/about89.html

You can tool up for about $200. That's a Reamer, and left and right hand taps. Then you'll need some tube and and the TRE's I initially saved myself a few bucks by running junkyard ends.

You can tap the .812 ID directly, but it's tight, and you have to be careful not to screw up your taps. Good quality taps help.

Your other option is to buy the weld-in threaded inserts.

Yes, you will need a reamer. One of the tie's needs to be reamed so the drag link can connect. It's also a good time to ream the knuckles from the top so you can flip your tire rod.

Even better, get yourself some drum brake knuckles, since they have a higher steering arm (center). Of course then you have to do the chevy disc conversion.

DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I agree with Nobody, if you are running the ford disk brake stuff on the D44 sell your knuckle out to an EB guy who just cares about the disks and go with the EB knuckle and chevy conversion. the chevy TRE conversion is a good reliable setup.

I plan to set up my full width front this way...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
wilber

Post by wilber »

for the moment im trying to find a cheap way to get my steering back. ill see what is available at the swap meet this sunday.

i have the ford discs on it now, couldnt find the chevy spindles for a good price. i still have the eb knuckles though.

thanks for the input guys