A small wager

Been wheelin? Got pics? Share your Bronco II adventure with the rest of us.
offroadohio

A small wager

Post by offroadohio »

Ok BII guys, therei s a small bet going on between I and a fellow club member.

This members truck is a 78 ford on a d60 front, locked with 70 rear locked. On 42 swampers. 460, c6.... etc

Here is the agreement as posted by him. this originated becuase I claim I can wheel these two trails on 30 a/ts. No one seems to think its doable, so here is the bet.

fyi. Donnie, is me.
The agreement:

Donnie will drive a Bronco II with 30” AT (All Terrain) tires. The rear end is locked/welded. The front end is open. He can be pulled backwards at any point, and this counts as one strap, regardless of distance. If Donnie is pulled forwards, the “amount of straps” will be calculated as follows: One strap = being pulled from 1” (one inch) up to 35’ (thirty five feet). 36’ to 71’ pulls equal two straps, etc.

Trail Routes, Bypass Questions:

I agree to “run the trail the way I always do.” I will not take bypasses that I normally do not take, and I will not take “more difficult lines” than I normally take. Determining this may be somewhat difficult. Donnie rode with me on this trail in January, and I don’t remember doing anything “out of my normal routine” on that ride. You have my word on this aspect of the ride. Donnie is to follow me on my “normal route” through the trails with two exceptions:

A) Beard Rock: Donnie may attempt the rock at any line he wishes; he does not have to go the way I choose to go.

B) Creek Crossing at Quarry: Donnie may climb the bank at any angle, at any line he wishes; He does not have to go the way I choose to go.

Questions people may have:

A) What if I break down?---The bet is still on, another capable rig will take the lead, and the ride continues.

B) Why are there different rules for Donnie’s rig & my rig?---I have been to this trail many times, I have pulled other rigs off the trail, and have never been pulled off this trail in the Ford truck. I have nothing left to prove on this trail, and anything can fail on a trail rig. Do I expect Buford to break down? Of course not, but shiznit happens, and most failures aren’t planned.

How the winner is determined:

Donnie wins if he completes Beard/Quarry under his own power being strapped eleven (11) times or less. I pay Donnie $200 cash, on this date.

I win if Donnie is strapped twelve (12) or more times, (or) Donnie’s vehicle breaks/cannot be repaired in an hour and is unable to complete the trail under it’s own power. Donnie pays me $200 cash or signs the title of the '80 F-250 on this date
Hopefully I can win this bet and gain a name for the RBV family amongst this certain club.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mwhahahahahaha.........he might as well hand over the cash now. :redneck:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if he looses, he looses more then $200. I want pics...of him paying up...
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

screw the pics, I want full length video donnie. Try it and dont give up..... :D
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

We'll have the digi corder on hand, but its only good for about an hour of footage. So we'll have it.
Limited

Post by Limited »

well what happend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :finger:
Rectum, damn near killed em
84_4x4

Post by 84_4x4 »

wow this is an old post
Get Out Of Way Or Im Comin Over Ya
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

holy crap. I forgot to post up what happened.

Ok, the ride has taken place. I lost.

Here is the write up I did on Ohio4x4.
Started out with 11 rigs I believe. Rex forgot to lock in and had some trouble at the V notch on Beard do to that, but I think everyone else made it ok.
At the rock ledge, I tried the far right and couldnt quite get up it, did managae to start the rears up but the carb puked out so I went to the left, had some issues with the carb (something that never gave me any issues until today) but after a couple tried made the climb. I believe Tim took a slight strap on it after getting a little crosshair on it.
One of Howards buddy's in a fullsize blazer on 44 bogger, which just happened to have a 3/4ton DANA 44 under it ripped both drivers side ball joints clean off the thing. Howard, the blazer and a similar built suburban with a d60 front hung back and repaired the Blazer while we kept on the move.

I got stuck the minute I hit the ruts, and pretty good I may add, Roy was having a hard time moving me, and I ended up using 4 straps to get me about 1/2 way or so up the ruts. Not sure if I would have faired better had the 42's not been diggin trenches in front of me or not, but its doubtful. After several several attempts and a shattered right sideglass,I did manage to finish the ruts without any more help. Thus far a few folks admited I had already faired better than they had planned.

Took on another strap at a stupid little mud hole that was mostly water, as I went in the engine died and with water well above the exhuast I opted for a strap instead of sucking water in the very short exhuast pipe.

I picked up another strap, for sort of the same reason, only this time it was a true mud hole and I may or may not have made it had it not died on me...

Somewhere along the line, but I forget where I picked up another strap costing me 7 straps total for Beard Road.

Everyone did the connector trail with ease I believe and we continued on to the quarry trail head. At the first big hole, Roy was pretty close to getting stuck, but made it through, and radioed to me I could bypass it for one strap instead of hydrolocking the thing, so I obliged and did so. Comming out of the bypass I stop to let the g/f walk by, and she says go ahead... I thought she meant, its nothing to worry about so I idled on ahead and surely enough a mud hole I didnt pay any attention to, that was enough for strap 9. Although it wasnt here fualt I still made her feel bad and she offered the bronco to me, if the strap cost me the bet, however I refused the offer, and told her it was only part her fualt...lol
Steve Stroud got stuck in the big hole and shortly after lost a couple forward gears and was overheating. I took another strap at a muddy section (cant think of what it was called), when I slid off of my line and into the ruts, ruts or no ruts I was proabably taking a strap there anyhow..., say hello to strap 10. The BII was also running like crap, I thought due to an ignition problem but it seems it was just the carb again, we breaked for lunch, at this time.

steve Stroud hung back to clean out his radiator at the riverside while I took my 11th strap at a muddy section just before the first swap, again I was almost out of the hole when I slide into the ruts, and my carb crapped out. As Roy was pulling me a very loud hiss started, after out I popped hte hood to find the original 1984 rubber hose running from the tstat to the intake had ruptured.... After cooling a little, I pulled the hose, I forget who it was (sorry) but someone had a piece of 3/4 hose, but leave it two ford the hoses needed to be 1inch on one side and 3/4 on the other, some quick thinking on my part I had the g/f go get one of my larger deepwell sockets, I used this as a hose adapter to but the new 3/4 inch peice to a good chunk of the old 1inch piece. With a borrowed hose clamp and tow smaller ones made into one, and some borrowed drinking water for coolant I was on my way again.
we continued on to the first swap where I followed Roy into some pretty trecherous ruts, costing me my losing strap. I flogged on it awhile before I finally gave up.... Roy strapped me, and we took photos of us shacking hands and of the money., we continued on to the larger swamp and I took an easy bypass route Jaimie told me to take with no issues. Once through I hear the hiss again... the new 3/4 line had sprung a leak, I think I may have accidently stabbed it with my knife earlier. Ocne again with borrowd drinking water I repaired it and was on my way. At this point in time we decided to turn around rather than get stuck 1/2 way through quarry at nightfall,

I followed Roy through the swamp with a strap just to make getting out eaiser. We then ran headon into the now fixed blazer, suburban, Howard and a group of Geo Trackers they had picked up somewhere. The opted to turn around as well.

Tim, Brent, Sour, mike and myself, (sorry guys cant remember everyones screennames exactly)had taken a bypass and ened up infront of the larger group, we advised Roy we would continue on out the trail so as not to stay so congested. I had a couple small stall out issues but we made it back out with no one needing pulled, We waited atleast 2 hours o nthe rest of the group, finally after CB contact we found out Rex had busted his radiator with his fna, steve lost his starter, and the blazer had popped a bead on those monsterous 44's.

Finally they arrived with the blazer dragging steve, and Howard dragging Rex, Roy swaped to drag steve and we headed back to the connector trail. The blazer and the Suburban being so big had some issues crossing the dug ditch but made it with no damage. Mike had reconnected the sway bars while waiting at quarry, and had some issues but a couple guys pushing was enough to get him through.

Smooth driving for the most part back to the marathon from there.
My photos and video
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ ... 20Ohio4x4/

33inchrubber's (tim)photos
http://spaces.msn.com/timahoy/PersonalS ... c=blogpart

Knoxville's (brent)Photos.
http://www.madois.com/image/Jeep/albums ... index.html

i will slowly be adding htier photos to mine.
Limited

Post by Limited »

wow this sucks!
Rectum, damn near killed em
offroadohio

Post by offroadohio »

dana44 with 44's We didnt pay any attention and the guy said he had 60's. so we let him come along on the ride. I had better chances than he did.