clutch problem...

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Ohhh hell no! Get that thing driving before you tear anything else apart!

Well, it definately starting to sound like it's time to pull the ENGINE. You can have it out, and back in, in a couple hours and be driving it this evening!....seriously.

I think there's a pretty good chance you have the wrong throwout bearing.
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

DBrown wrote: yeah, I am going to run the 3speed for a little while. ever since I had the truck the tranny and transefer case have been mated. I think the problem comes when you pull them apart. I think it is suppost to be in 1st gear to hold pressure on neddle bearings to stop them from dropping out or something.
I don't think that having them mated makes any difference, I know you are supposed to make a "jig" to hold the shifters (shift forks? what ever you call them on the trany) when you disconnect them. I doubt it's the problem and if all you are going to do is pull the cover then it's only going to take a minute so don't listen to Nobody, :cool: pull it and take a peek.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
wilber

Post by wilber »

yea you can put the disc in wrong. thats why there labed this side to flywheel
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I worked on it today....it is once again in 500 pieces.

all the clutch parts look ok excepat where the clutch disk hits the flywheel. it looks as if the inside of the disk was making constant contact with the flywheel. I droped it off to be machined and cleaned up the input shaft because it looked like it was sticking a little so we will see. I also cross refferenced everything and it looks like I got the right parts so I plan to clean everything up and paint it all. I hope to have it back together tomorrow so I will let y'all know!
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I didn't get it all back together but the transmission is in it. the transfer case is still out so I can remove the pills and dig what is left of the speedo gear out of it. all in all I think it lost about 5 lbs of goo and all the brackets and underside of the tranny tunnel is painted. the tranny mounts were junk so I used some of the poly mounts I had laying around. I will probably not get to work on it the rest of the week because we are heading to gattlinburg for the weekend on thursday. and will not be back until sunday. a weekend at a cabin is just what the doctor ordered.

for a small tranny that 3 speed has some weight to it, my brother in laws eyes about bugged out of his head when I grabed it and tossed it up in there with no jack... :cool:

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The day is not over yet....slacker
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I worked on it a little today, the inside of the tranny looks like new and it seems to shift into all the gears ok while I had the top cover off. so a little more cleaning and it is going back in... is there anything else y'all can think of I need to clean or check?

there is a little play in the input shaft how much is acceptable?

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

So you're going to throw it back together without identifying the problem?

I'm not sure on the input shaft play, but it's probably fine. I really doubt it's a tranny problem. The clutch is what disconnects the engine from the tranny.

What flywheel do you have? used/new?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I noticed that the disk was rubbing on the flywheel so I had it redone. I also noticed that the disk was sticking on the input shaft so I cleaned it up some. I think this might have been part of it. I think it is just comming down to the input shaft is still spinning even though the clutch is disconnecting. this would explaine why I can start it in gear but not shift into gear from neutral. does that make sence? like the shaft is spinning to fast for the gears to safely shift, so it will not.

I am using a used 28 balance 164 tooth flywheel, a disk and pressure plate from a 84 F150 with a manual.

I also compaired the throwout bearings and they were almost identical so I think I will be good to go.

do you think I should play the safe side and get another pilot bushing also?

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

DBrown wrote:well, I noticed that the disk was rubbing on the flywheel so I had it redone.
It? You had the flywheel resurfaced?
DBrown wrote: I also noticed that the disk was sticking on the input shaft so I cleaned it up some. I think this might have been part of it.
I guess that could create a little drag. Whyd didn't you clean it up the first time :finger: Wire wheel is your friend
DBrown wrote: I think it is just comming down to the input shaft is still spinning even though the clutch is disconnecting. this would explaine why I can start it in gear but not shift into gear from neutral. does that make sence? like the shaft is spinning to fast for the gears to safely shift, so it will not.

DBrown wrote: I am using a used 28 balance 164 tooth flywheel, a disk and pressure plate from a 84 F150 with a manual.
Were these new parts? Pressure plate could be flaking out on you.
DBrown wrote: I also compaired the throwout bearings and they were almost identical so I think I will be good to go.

You didn't use a new one? That could create enough drag to get the input shaft spinning.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

DBrown wrote:well, I noticed that the disk was rubbing on the flywheel so I had it redone.
It? You had the flywheel resurfaced?
DBrown wrote: I also noticed that the disk was sticking on the input shaft so I cleaned it up some. I think this might have been part of it.
I guess that could create a little drag. Whyd didn't you clean it up the first time :finger: Wire wheel is your friend
DBrown wrote: I think it is just comming down to the input shaft is still spinning even though the clutch is disconnecting. this would explaine why I can start it in gear but not shift into gear from neutral. does that make sence? like the shaft is spinning to fast for the gears to safely shift, so it will not.

DBrown wrote: I am using a used 28 balance 164 tooth flywheel, a disk and pressure plate from a 84 F150 with a manual.
Were these new parts? Pressure plate could be flaking out on you.
DBrown wrote: I also compaired the throwout bearings and they were almost identical so I think I will be good to go.

You didn't use a new one? That might create enough drag to get the input shaft spinning. [/quote]
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, I had the flywheel resurfaced. the pressure plate and disk are new, the throw out bearing is used but seems to be in good shape. it wasn't making any noise and seems to roll fine. the pilot bushing is new, because the motor I got was from an auto truck. but they are like $2 so I might throw another one in just to make sure.

I actualy did hit it with a wire wheel at first but I don't think I went far enough up the splines so I got out the small screwdriver and wheel again and realy cleaned it up this time.

I will actualy be working for the next few days so I will probably not get to put it back together untill the weekend...

EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

DBrown wrote:a disk and pressure plate from a 84 F150 with a manual.
Did you make sure that the 84 stuff is the same as the earlier stuff? Even a small chnage could lead to a problem.
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

yeah, I double checked everything.

I got it all back together and it seems to be fixed. I think it just boiled down to a dirty input shaft that was causing the disk to stay pushed against the flywheel and I also installed a new pilot bearing that was a little different. as soon as I weld the shock mounts on I will be going for a test drive!

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Damn.... I don't know how you can stand waiting so long. I'd be up all night if I were as close as you. Glad to hear it's fixed.