Aftermarket shifter on a 302 conversion

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TC

Aftermarket shifter on a 302 conversion

Post by TC »

So, on my auto C4, the 4x4 stick pokes through the hole okay, but I know that I will need to get an aftermarket cable shifter so I can use the stock hole. Just wondering if there is a shifter with a dual boot or what anyone used out there.
I see the B&M's, but I don't trust myself to hack it in order to fit both shifters.
Stay off the pipe, don't forget to wipe.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I run a B&M Shifter on mine and all you have to do is drill a hole for the shifter cable to run through. I put mine on the other side of the sifter for the T case.
dirtybronco287

Post by dirtybronco287 »

I'm using the B&M also. I switched mine to bucket seats and fabbed a plate to cover to manual shifter hole and mounted the shifter between the seats. It's cable operated and the cable is about 3-4 feet long. So you have options.
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I am using the stock shifter on my C6, I just played with the linkage. The shifter on the tranny had to move in the opposite direction as the stock tranny to go from park to drive so to fix that there is a bar with 2 tabs that mounts from the frame to tranny and has one bar connected to the shifter and one to the shift lever on the tranny. I cut that bar in half turned it half turn and welded it back together so that one tab was up, one down - this made the shift lever on the tranny move the right way. But when I did this the tab facing up hit the floor of the truck so I cut part of it off and drilled a new hole - this changed the ratio of how much the shifter moves vs how much the shift lever moves, but somehow I was unbelievably lucky enough to have it be the perfect ratio to make it where one gear on the shifter shifted the tranny a gear. After that all I had to do was adjust the rod that connects the shifter to the mentioned and modified bar (it has a set screw you loosen to adjust the length). I don't know how I managed to get so lucky with the ratio thing but wanted to let you know it can be done with the stock shifter. All I have to do now is find a 4x4 with a 3 speed auto cause right now my 2nd is 1st and it won't go down to first on the shifter - but I'm in no hurry to find that, I know what the gears are.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
TC

Post by TC »

That wouldn't work for me since I went from a 5 speed to an auto. But I did talk to James Duff and Advance Adapters and they say that there is not really a good answer besides your own modifications.
I imagined a shifter with the transfer case stick on the left and an auto shifter on the right, using the same box.
Anyone in the manufacturing business?
Don't even need the PRND21, just a nice dual boot.
Stay off the pipe, don't forget to wipe.