forget the duraspark, Im going 302!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Jesse

forget the duraspark, Im going 302!

Post by Jesse »

I was gonna go for the new ignition for the simplicity of it, but a friend of mine is gonna get me a decent 302 HO out of a mustang for $200!! All i'll need to find is a tranny, and i don't think that will be too hard. All i need to know is if a tranny exists that will bolt up to the 302 and to my stock transfer case. I want to go 5 speed but if theres only an auto that will fit, i'll go which ever way is cheaper. Thanx guys!!
OffroadBEAR

Post by OffroadBEAR »

You can use the C4. You will need the C4 transmission and bellhousing, and you can swap out the tailhousing for the transfercase adapter from the C5 that came in BIIs. You could use a C5 and swap the bellhousing for a C4, but I doubt it would hold up very well. If you want 5 speed, you could use the Mazda M5OD-R2 out of an F-150 with the 1356 (I think thats the right number) transfercase, but its a tight fit. The problem with the T5 is that the adapter to mate it to a transfer case is pretty expensive, and probably makes it more money than its worth. If you want the ultimate, go NP435 or T18 with an NP205. Anyway, I am sure someone will give you more options than I did, thats just off the top of my head.

Paul
88 BII XLT 2.9/5spd/4x4 Lemans 31x10.5s
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

5.0L really is the way to go. Bronco II's should have had them from the factory!

If you are on a semi tight budget, then the C5/C4 swap, or NP435/NP205 or Dana 20(requires adapter) is the ticket. You can also run an AOD/NP205, or the ZF-5/NP205. I would't recommend a T5, adapters are extremely expensive, the gearing sucks, and they really aren't that strong.

Early Bronco's came with a C4/Dana 20. It's a good combo, but hard to find at a fair price.

The low range on the NP205 sucks...1.99:1.

I really like the NP435/Dana 20 that I have. My EB is going to get a 4R70W from a V8 Exploder and I haven't decided on a transfer case yet.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

how much are the adapters to put one of those trannys to the stock t-case? or is it worth it to just get a tranny/t-case and throw in there? also, i was looking at the front end (i guess its the dana 24 or whatever the # was on that p.o.s.) and it looks major weak! will i run into problems with it and that 7.5 in the rear? i heard they both suck. if so, i think i might just look for somethin to steal the diffs and the t-case out of.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Most adapters run in the neighborhood of $400-$700.

If you find yourself a C5, you can have the mainshaft and tailhousing swapped into a C4 and bolt your t-case up.....or simply swap bellhousings and use the C5 which isn't as strong as the C4. Unfortunately the C5 isn't easy to find. I think they only came in 83-84 Bronco II's and Rangers.

If you find an EB C4/Dana 20 combo, bolt it up and go.

If you want a manual, then NP435 is the cheapest and strongest.

Yes the dana 28 is a weak link, as is the 7.5. Both will last for awhile if you have a light foot and drive with a little common sense. Plan on upgrading.
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I was going to do the adapter route but found it to be a lot cheaper to swap in a C6-NP205 combo. You lose less power through the C-4 though and it is plenty strong. If you can find a C5 I would do the C4-C5 hybrid bolted to your stock T-case, but if not I would look for a C4 with a Dana 20 or NP205, the 205 has a 1.96 low which is really steep, but if your axles are geared right you are fine. There are a few choices when swapping axles. The 7.5 will hold up for a while but the aftermarket for it is minimal. The Dana 28 front is scrap, you can either bolt in a Dana 35 from an explorer or 4.0 ranger, it is much stronger when it comes to shafts but the bearings are still very weak (the inner and outer bearings actually touch each other) so offset or wide rims with wide tires will eat them up regularly. Your other choice to keep the same bolt pattern would be a Jeep front, the only one worth swapping is the High Pinion Dana 30 from an XJ, it is as stong as 35 at least and is a solid axle setup. In the rear for the same bolt pattern step up to the explorer or 4.0 ranger 8.8" rear. If you don't care about bolt pattern and want something better, you can step up to a Dana 44 and Ford 9". The Dana 44 and 35 shafts are close to the same in strength but the bearings in the 44 are much better for offset rims and lager tires. I stepped up to a High Pinion Dana 44 Heavy Duty and Dana 60 full floater from an F-250, but I was also going up to a 39.5" tire. Just some more options. The Dana 44, 9" setup is under most 70s F100, F150, fullsize and early broncos, the early bronco axles are the hardest to find but they fit under the Bronco II the best. Just some more info for you.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s