Tire/wheel compatability

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Reinforcements

Tire/wheel compatability

Post by Reinforcements »

I will be giving my bII a fresh 3 in. of lift sometime next month and I have a tire and wheel setup all picked out. I just dont know if I will have any interference when it is all installed.
Here are the specs:
Wheels- Cragar Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Size: 15'' x 8''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 5-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 4''
Tires-Possibly BFG All terrain
31x10.50
(still trying to find a decent inexpensive tire)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Stock Bronco II bolt circle is 5 x 4.5, fullsize ford is 5 x 5.5.

15x8 is a good all around wheel size, however if you never plan on going wider than a 10.50, I'd probably go with a 15x7.

4"BS is a little deep which is fine, but 3.5"BS is more standard, and I'd recommend that.

For tires, you might have a look at the wild country txr at Les Schwabs. I think it's a decent tire that you should get a lot of miles out of.

The BFG AT's are pretty cheap. I ran a set on my heep. I'm not crazy about them though.
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

i found the BFG tread pattern pretty good for all around driving I had the tread on a set of Alpi Reman. tires but if you want to do some mudding id reccommend soemthing with a bit more space between lugs Yokahama makes a awsome affordable tire cant remember the model tho
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

15x8 is a good all around wheel size, however if you never plan on going wider than a 10.50, I'd probably go with a 15x7.
don't you mean a 15x10?

the common rule of thumb is a 4" difference. you don't want to have more then that or the tire just will not set right.

a 10.5 on an 8" rim is a good combo, and you could still run an 11.5 if you wanted to go up to say a 32 or 33x11.5

a 12.5 on an 10" rim is a good combo also.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Nope, I mean 15x8. I believe they hold beads better, and offer some protection for your wheels. That 4" difference is what I shoot for, but I agree you don't want to exceed that too much. I was running my 36x12.50's on 15x7, and I didn't notice anything odd.

I never blow beads, even up in the snow at 3 psi.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

do you run any screws in the rims or anything?

around here the guys that run slicks on stock rims usually tube the tire and run screws in the bead of the rim to make them hold.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Just plain old tire and wheel. Hell it's usually quite the job to break the bead on purpose. Beadlocks are overrated.

Are you talking cars/racing? I think for cars, you would want a wider wheel matching the tire for sidewall stability.

The screws they use is to stop the tire from spinning on the wheel and ripping the stem off the inner tube. Can't imagine they have problems blowing beads.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

Are you talking cars/racing? I think for cars, you would want a wider wheel matching the tire for sidewall stability.
yeah, for a car that would be the ideal situation. but you would also want to have a smaller sidewall and a thicker sholder to help with that also. that is the reason that everyone goes with a larger rim and lower profile tire. on a drag car you are going straight though so the tires just need to be sticky.
The screws they use is to stop the tire from spinning on the wheel and ripping the stem off the inner tube. Can't imagine they have problems blowing beads.
well, they can spin off the rim. if you look in some of the pictures you will see the dimples from how much traction they get. when that happens the tire can spin on the rim and break off the bead. the screws hold them from spinning, just like you said. it is a "good old boy" way of making your slicks hook up on stock mustang rims. :cool:

ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I think You are talking about the yokohoma super digger IV. I had a set of those for a while and they had a similar pattern to the BFG's. I didn't think they did as well in the snow as the bfg's but I had them about 10+ years ago and it was before I new about airing down for traction. :confused: I my opinion and experience that the BFG all-terrian is un beatable in the compact snow and ice on the pavement. That said they will let you down in any other condition that you will need the digger lugs. If it is a daily driver and not an off roader enjoy. I am currently running 16X7 with my 36's with no probelms. I did like the 15X8's with the 34" buckshots on the bII though. I think it was cause the 15X8 had less backspacing thus giving me a wider stance. I never rolled over with that set up :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Reinforcements

Post by Reinforcements »

What about the wild country EXT? I like the way they look, but do they perform well in the snow. I am really looking for a tire that will do good in the snow as well as off road. I am on a fairly tight budget. Also, does anyone know where i can pick up a black spoker type wheel locally? I can order them from summit or jegs for about $40 a piece but i dont want to pay the shipping charges.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Wild Country or Wild Cat EXT? I have used the Wild Cats and they do not last very long and I did not like their performance compared to the Buckshots. BFG mud terrains I think are your best bet. I think Summit has free shipping over a certain dollar amount. I haven't found any of the wheels you are talking about that cheap up here in Washington.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I just happen to have the receipt for my black spoke wheels on my desk. I paid $35.51 each from Les Schwabs. I've always had good luck with the schwab wheels. They have good safety bead, and hold tires well.

I have the wild country rvt mud tires on my EB. They suck. Horrible wet pavement traction. The lug spacing is just perfect for picking up and throwing rocks. And one is so out of round it might as well be square.

For a good snow tire, you'll want to stick with Radial swampers, radial buckshots, and MTR's seem decent.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Schab in Arlington told me 55 a piece for the black and I would have to order. Thats why I got the white ones for 50 or so. And they were in stock cause i'm impatient. ;)
Reinforcements

Post by Reinforcements »

I meant to say Wild Cat EXT, but nevermind they dont sound any good.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

My bronco tires are actually the wild country rvt.