Driveshafts and Starters oh My

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Dreded

Driveshafts and Starters oh My

Post by Dreded »

ok few quick comments :cool:

This question is mainly for Nobody I was just wondering how short your Driveshaft is in the BII i just went and got one cut ended up being 28" long thats for a M5R2 and a Borg Warner 1356 T-Case

on a side note I installed the Driveshaft and realized after all the work I did to make the stock crossmember work im gonna need to make a custom one anyhow to drop the T-Case 1/2" to get the angles at an acceptable level because with a 28" D-Shaft a little angle makes a big difference

Also with you guys and yer 5.0's how many starters have you gone through? im on my 3rd in 3 yrs and this time I had to goto a Pick-A-Part to get one cause im out of spares. and I literally had to look under around 150- 200 cars to find one with a starter left in it so I guess they must explode alot. :wtf:
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I assume you're talking about the front shaft. I'd have to check, but I think mine is in the 24" range. I think my rear is 37 or something like that. My tranny/transfer assembly is really short.

What front axle are you running? Even with the flex I have, the diff really doesn't move that much. I am maxing out the double cardan joint up front though. I plan to fix that by going to a HP44. The other option is to step up to a 1330 or 1350 joint. As is, I've only trashed one driveshaft, so I'm getting plenty of life out of them.

I've only gone through one starter. It was a reman from shucks with the 3 year warranty. It lasted about a month. Fortunately, at the time I worked at a junkyard. I slapped a used starter in there and it's been going strong for what.....5 years now.

Go get yourself a NEW starter, not a reman. You might also want to check out the V8 exploder starters. I think they are mini gear reduction starters.

What iginition are you using? Duraspark is supposed to retard the timing while cranking. That gives the starter some relief. If it's not wired correctly or the module is defective, then it won't work.

Also make sure you have a good heavy guage ground to the engine. You could be generating a lot of internal heat in the starter from too much resistance. Heat kills.
Dreded

Post by Dreded »

Ok well as far as the D-Shaft goes I was talking about the rear shaft... I havnt even had a chance to do the front yet.

As far as the starter goes ill buy a new one when this one dies(pick-a-part starters cost $20cdn so thats 6 used for every new and i break even) and I probably do have a bad ground now that you mention it i forgot to re-do it when I broke the bolt last time i pulled the engine

I am using Duraspark but never hooked up the retardation wire as my truck usually starts after about a 5sec burst from starter but its been sitting for a few months so it didnt start so quickly this time.
4x4'ers Eat More Bush!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Well I hit that nail on the head. Get that retard wire hooked up, check your grounds and run the junkyard starters and you should be good.