Swamp Lake Trail

Been wheelin? Got pics? Share your Bronco II adventure with the rest of us.
FatMan

Swamp Lake Trail

Post by FatMan »

here are a couple of pic's of the new rig with my buddy and his jeep at Swamp Lake. we did'nt get alot of pic's cuz we were riding solo. hope to get back up there before snow level drops. i just have to get new hub's and replace broke stuff this week.....LOL.

Swamp Lake we might even be able to get some fishing in next time..

Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

now for broke stuff..

i think on the next set if i have time im going to weld the end caps of the u-joinrts and see how they do..
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

New rig?.....Looks nice! Welcome back dana 28.... that shouldn't last long.

Where abouts is Swap Lake?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

wow, I haven't seen a hub break like that before..........I always snaped them in the insides. that is a good looking truck. so are you going to swap in a D35 or are you going to SAS it?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I had one like that on a bronco II I bought.....the third member also had a huge crack that wasn't noticeable untill you filled it with oil.

I think it had been driven on pavement in 4wd.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Nobody wrote:New rig?.....Looks nice! Welcome back dana 28.... that shouldn't last long.
yep B2JAY's old rig it's set up pretty nice for a b2. it'll be getting that 9" and d44 i have. they just need to be re geared and minor rebuild on the d44. so for now im wheeling the d28 till theres to much snow on the mountain and the close all the trails.

Swamp Lake is up among's the many other trails just east of Fresno. theres Dusy Ershim, Swamp Lake, Dinky Creek, Brewer, Bald Mountain, and a couple more Swamp ia about a 12 mile trail but it's got some pretty hard spot's even for b2's with 6" of lift.
DBrown wrote:wow, I haven't seen a hub break like that before..........
yeah it surprised me to. im going to see if it can be welded. hopefully it's not alloy...
B2JAY

Hey

Post by B2JAY »

Bums me out every time I look at these pics, especially since it's starting to rain and get muddy around here.

I'll have another rig soon!!!

Oh yeah, I'm still checkin on that paperwork for you.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I have broke a Warn like that when the axle shaft exploded in side of it. I think the best thing to do is to weld in so bumpstops on the axle. That keeps the U-joint from turning to far and binding it thus causing the spreading of the ends. I did it on mine and it helped a bit. I didn't ruin the ends as much when the u-joint would fail.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yep, steering stops is the key. Don't hammer down with the wheels turned, or in reverse.

B2Jay.... how does it feel to have someone violate your rig like that? :laugh: :laugh:
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

ranger5.0 wrote:I think the best thing to do is to weld in so bumpstops on the axle. That keeps the U-joint from turning to far and binding it thus causing the spreading of the ends.
Nobody wrote:Yep, steering stops is the key. Don't hammer down with the wheels turned, or in reverse.
yep i just heard that from NightKrawler. thank's for the heads up fellas i have a trip going up the weekend after this one so im going to try anf make some bumper up so i can have a good place to pull from. if i get a chance i want to make up some sliders to. after i get the new shaft's in. so do you think if i put a longer screw in it would work? also should i weld up the end caps of the new u-joints for more strength? i bouhgt some brute force u-joints the other day and i'll be putting them in this weekend.
Nobody wrote:B2Jay.... how does it feel to have someone violate your rig like that?
:redneck: im taken goooood care of her :finger: