Pig Pen Jr's chop top...

This is the place to Blog your buildup. If your Bronco II isn't in here, it should be!
Please, one topic per vehicle.
Pig Pen Jr.

Pig Pen Jr's chop top...

Post by Pig Pen Jr. »

Pig Pen Jr's Off-Road Toy
1987 Bronco II XLT 4x4
2.9L V6
Mazda 5-Speed Man
D35 cut/turned front axle (4" lift) 4.56 gears and EZ-Locker
7.5" rear axle (3" blocks/etra leafs) 4.56 gears and welded
Chopped and caged
Custom ext. rad arms
Stock 2wd Ranger coil buckets w/Skyjacker 6" coils
F-250 front shock mounts w/Rancho RS5000 shocks
Extended stainless steel brake lines
Warn manual hubs
Custom front bumper w/winch mount - Custom rear bumper w/ clevises
Runs on 33x14.5 Boggers on 15x10 rims
Attachments
reader31.jpg
Pig Pen Jr.

Post by Pig Pen Jr. »

Well, the chop top is sold, here is the new rig...

1986 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4

Before...
Work in progress...

2.9L out of a 1989 Bronco II 4x4 XLT
Stock Auto trans – A4LD
Stock Man hubs - Ford
Stock Man t-case – Borg Warner 1350
Stock Dana 28 with 3.73s
Stock Ford 7.5” with 3.73s
4” Skyjacker Stage I
33x12.5/15 Interco TRXUS M/Ts
15x8 American Racing white steel rims

Mech…
Engine was “gone over” before being installed and runs great. The engine has been cleaned. Cleaned the IAC. Drained and refilled radiator. Replaced battery cables. Replaced PCV valve. Replaced fuel pump relay. Installed new battery hold down. Replaced fuel filter and seal. There is a K/N drop in air filter. I’m running Mobile 1 10w30 full synthetic oil. Installed an oil temp and tranny temp gauge. Installed a 3-gauge pod to the driver’s side pillar. Added a stock tranny cooler out of an Explorer.

Mech plans…
I plan on installing an oil pressure gauge. New plugs and wires, along with new cap and rotor. Install an Optima red top battery. Upgrade the headlight wiring harness. Replace t-case, tranny and front and rear diff fluids with synthetic fluid. Install tranny filter. Get brakes done front and rear. Alignment. Add an aux fuse block under the hood for aux lights.

The previous owner cut off the catalytic converters and reinstalled the stock muffler to exit right under the B2. I have a complete exhaust from the headers back, off a 1986 Bronco II XLT that we installed, but the bolts that attach the "Y" pipe to the header on the passenger side snapped so we have to install a clamp on it.

Body…
The previous owner had put two coats of primer on her before I got it, so I just sanded her down a little and added two coats of black rustolium to ¾ of the sides and two coats of grey rustolium to the top and ¼ of the sides. Next I went to all the known trouble spots for collecting dirt/mud/salt and filled them in with foam. I then sprayed about ½ the sides, inside the wheel wells and over all the foamed areas with Wesley’s rubberized undercoating (about a coat and a half on each side). The front grill and both bumpers were sanded and sprayed with a coat of black rustolium also. Lastly a red vinyl stripe was put on the line between the grey and black. A set of 55w back up lights were installed.

Body plans…
I am going to cut about a ½” off each wheel well and install fender flairs on the outside and some 4” lawn edging on the inside. Another coat of the Wesley’s will be put on each side and on the bottom of the body and the frame rails too. The emblems will be put back on. A front bumper will be made and will have the grill guard that came with the truck welded to it. The front bumper will have a 2” receiver and tow hooks. I’m going to have a light bar made that will be welded to the rain gutters and be as tight to the roof as possible. I’m also going to have a set of rock sliders made that will run from wheel well to wheel well and double as side steps. I want to add some window vents, hood deflector and possibly a popup sunroof also.

Suspension…
It has a Skyjacker class I 4” lift installed right now. The stage I is just the front drop brackets, drop pitman arm, rad arm drop brackets, sway bar links front/rear and blocks in the rear. It also has a Rancho steering stabilizer. Currently it has Rancho RS5000s on all corners.

Suspension plans…
Replace all the ball joints. Replace the rear blocks with full leaf packs. Have custom extended rad arms made. Stainless steel brake lines. Eventually the D28 and 7.5 will be replaced with a D35 and 8.8 out of an Explorer, with 4.56 gears in both and a locker in the front and limited slip in the rear.

Misc…
Installed bucket seat out of an Explorer. Roll bar made out of a Ranger bed rollbar. Doors have been cut to fit 5 ½” speakers. New speaker wire ran though out.

Misc plans…
Install radio and new speakers… 4” in stock dash location, 5 ½ in doors and 5 ½ in stock rear location. Install CB radio and ant. Add a second cup holder to hang from dash. Mount “Quick Fists” to hold mag light and 4 way. Mount first aid kit. Mount fire extinguisher. Rock lights (LEDs) front, rear and both sides.

The new rear bumper/tire carrier...
The hinge...

The main bumper beam is 4"x4", the arm is 2"x2" and the rest is 1"x1". It is mounted using the stock brackets, we just cut them shorter then notched them so the tube set in them about an inch (more welding surface that way). The hinge is made out of a greasable shackle bolt that my fab guy has a bunch of. Just have to finish the latch for it, weld the 2" reciver on, add a support beam on the other side, lower the tire about an inch, gusset all the angles and then give it a good coating of rubber undercoating. I'm also looking at clevices or tow hooks to bolt/weld too it. This thing is strong, along with the tire mounted, my fab guy and I both got on it, about 400 pounds total I would guess. ;thumby;

This is what has been done and the plans I have as of 10/2005. I’m sure plans will change and things will be added, but I have enough to keep my checkbook and me busy for a while. This is currently my daily driver so keeping it running is first priority with off-road and looks second.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

What happened to the old BII?

How do you like those tires? I haven't seen them in person yet.
Pig Pen Jr.

Post by Pig Pen Jr. »

Sold the old one... so far I love the tires, great onroad even in the rain.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Pig Pen Jr. bumper looks great how did you mount it to the frame? do you have pic's of the mount's? im wanting to build something similar.

thank's
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
Pig Pen Jr.

Post by Pig Pen Jr. »

We just reused the stock brakets. Cut about 2" off them, then notched them so the tube slid inside and just welded her up.
Attachments
bracket2.jpg
bracket.jpg
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

sweet thank's i was hoping to do that on the front but found out that the front does'nt have any bracket's so assumed the rear was designed the same. thank's again
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!