tire size on stock rims w/3" body lift??

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
unfknreal

tire size on stock rims w/3" body lift??

Post by unfknreal »

Would I be able to fit 32's under my truck after a 3" body lift, or would i be limited to 31's? I don't really want to do any trimming. Also, does anyone know what width the stock wheels are? I have the factory alloy wheels, and I'm not sure how big a tire they will take.

heres a pic of my truck...
http://disregard.net/pictures/?image=4x ... 2/myb2.jpg
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Well the answer to your rim question is whatever.. I have those same ford 15x7 rims and have 33x12.5 on them no problem. The tire does bubble out alittle so it protects the rim from too much damage.

As far as your tire choice, well it depends if it a mall cruiser or off-road. If mall cruiser then 32s. If you wheel it then you dont want the 3" body lift at all, but 31s most likely wont rub. 32s are close and on a b2 by b2 basis of what will rub or not. My opinion is choose the tire you want then make it fit with suspension lift/trimming.

Just my $.02 worth :D
unfknreal

Post by unfknreal »

Ok, so those wheels are 15x7 then? I wasn't sure about that... thanks.

Currently looking at getting BFG MT's, or Swamper LTB. Looks like I'll be going for 32x11.5.

I have the truck mainly for off-road but nothing hardcore really... just playing in the mud, and getting to remote spots for camping, fishing, etc. Why don't I want the 3" body lift? I figured it would be a good temporary way to get good tires until I can afford the suspension system I want.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I ran 36x12.50's on 15x7's.

Body lifts are bad news. They serve no purpose. If you just want the looks, then try again cuz body lifts look stupid too.

Keep her stock and save your pennies.
MHHodges11

Post by MHHodges11 »

Stock looks better than a body lift any day of the week the added cost to do a suspension lift is well worth it. I have 3" of trailmaster suspension lift that came with my 84BII when I bought it. I run 33x12.5 wild cat mud terrain tires I These were origanlly on stock rims but I like the look of the Modern Black spoke wheels so I went ahead and bought the 15x10's at about $40 a peice I have'nt had to trim I do get some rub on my outside shock of my dual front shocks but wonder if that is from someone mounting the wrong I am researching this. but fender clearance has not been much of an issue yet. We will see when I get it into some rough country once I have the engine broken in.

My spare is a half worn out 31x10.5 wild cat mud terrain on a stock rim and it looks good also depends on what you want to do with it.
If it has wheels and an engine I can modify it.
nhale

Post by nhale »

to answer your actual question instead of giving you my .02 worth. 31x10.50 will rub when turned all the way. so the 32s will rub a bit sooner in the turn. also a hard landing with the wheel turned they will hit the fender on the trailing edge.

as far as the body lift. If you use a real one and not some home made one, and install it right. then they are not a problem. its even a good time to replace your body bushings. also most people dont even notice a body lift if done right. if you leave the gaps everywhere then yea it looks dumb. but you can do it the right way and it looks just like factory.

I have had the 3inch body lift on all my bIIs and I have "wheeled" very hard with them. the best thing about the body lift; it keeps the factory susp. geomitry, unlike some aftermarket susp. lifts that you almost cant even drive on the road.

P.S.yes this is my first post but I have been reading the extream bII board for over a year now and I have owned bIIs for 13 years. also today is my 31st bDay.
unfknreal

Post by unfknreal »

I realize the cost of a suspension lift is well worth it, but my point is I can't afford to do tires and suspension at once, so sure I could go ahead and do the suspension right now, and keep my stock size tires until I can get good ones... but it would look more stupid if you ask me. And yea, I could save until I can do both at once, but I need better tires now.

I'm using a real kit, not a home made one. I ordered the 3" trailmaster kit, it comes with everything for bumpers, steering, etc.

Thanks for the answers anyways.
wackston

Post by wackston »

hey I have some pics of my truck with a 3" trailmaster body lift and 31's on the stock rims if ya want to take a loot http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/372896
Bronco19

Post by Bronco19 »

Hey guys, maybe ya'll should start a room for bad-mouthing bodylifts. My B2 came with a 3in, so no bad-mouthing. I think it looks fine. It does give you more room to work underneath. The frame is visible though. It might look stupid once I put a 6in suspension on it. But for now you have to bend down to really notice it. $100 sure beats $1600 though.

Decide for yourself here: www.angelfire.com/80s/broncoiis
1989 2wd B2 xlt,5-speed,3in body lift,33/12.5" tires,Kenwood system. Future:D35,8.8 ,33/13.5" LTBs, 6" Skyjacker
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have noticed that we argue about this every month or two. I run one, its not that bad.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I'm planning on putting a JamesDuff 2' Body lift on my 84 B2. The main reason for this is i'm also doing a 302 conversion and I want as much clearance in there as possible. I could go higher, but jumping from a wheelchair into the truck could get tricky.
Attachments
DSC00403.JPG
dirtcowboy

Post by dirtcowboy »

Hey Wackston,
Black ice? That sucks 'bro, nice lookin truck.
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I found that I wore out a lot of rag joints in my steering arm with a 3inch body lift. It put to much angle on them. It did make it easier to take the tranny out though.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
pigmy pony

Post by pigmy pony »

Wouldn,t no lift at all and, just fender triming be better then. It dosen,t cost you anything and also keeps a lower center of gravity.
Momentum and wheel spin