finaly

Been wheelin? Got pics? Share your Bronco II adventure with the rest of us.
bailey

Post by bailey »

I am exaggerating my lack of flex a little bit, but it's definately not great. I think it has better articulation than my TTB ranger - which has extended radius arms - but not good for a solid axle and nothing like the wristed arm shots on your home page. I don't think the coils are an issue (Duff 3.5" VR coils, pretty soft by most accounts). I am running stock length EB arms and poly rad. arm and poly c bushings. I could probably re-align my drop brackets (big Bronco drop brackets) so that they align better with the arm. At static height they are at a slight angle through the radius arm bushing. I've toyed with the idea of buying some off-set bushings from B.C. Broncos or running rubber ones.

I will wrist it someday, just bought a chopsaw and a drill press partially with that in mind. Don't think my ol 110V cheapo-Mig is up to the task, though.

I am using ranger/b2 6" skyjacker leaves in back. They flex fine (although they are spitting out the teflon inserts). Only problem out back is I need to tub the rear as currently the smooth inner tub wall is my bump stop. But it still has good travel out back, and isn't hurting the tires, so that is farther down on the list.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Ok, you're set up exactly the same as me in the front then. All you need is the wristed arm and it will flex. Night and day difference. I wheeled mine without the wristed arm for awhile too.

I had the same problem with my skyjacker springs spitting out the teflon pads. When I had the top on, they flexed ok, but after I chopped the top, they didn't flex very well. Now I run stock fullsize bronco leafs, and it works very well for what it is. Definately better than the skyjackers.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

the wristed arm deffinatly brings the front to life :cool:
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
wilber

Post by wilber »

ill try to dig up some pics of alx's sploder, it does decent.

my b2 flexs well, it has a wristed arm, and well the bushings were all shot so that helped to.

when alx did the 44 convertion to it when it was his, he added 2x2 tubing to the drop brackets for the rad arms. the arms sit lower, but allow more droop this way. I am very happy of how the rig works.

my steering, well when i started was shaped like a U and when i ended it was shaped like an S

hard to control with any speed.
wilber

Post by wilber »

http://www.rrorc.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=546

there are close to 600 pics of the chubfest weekend at badlands offroad park.

ill try to pull up some good ones of the sploder
wilber

Post by wilber »

here he is in the way up
Attachments
alx.JPG
bailey

Post by bailey »

Yeah, from the last picture its safe to say that my non-flexy front end title is secure. I didn't know that was alx's Explorer. Looks like it works well. Musta been prior to the doubler failure I recall him posting at RRORC about.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
wilber

Post by wilber »

actulay that was after the break. we bring enuff spare crap, they pulled the doubler and made new shafts.
bailey

Post by bailey »

Made new driveshafts on the fly! Now that's well-equipped.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
wilber

Post by wilber »

yup made quite a few d shafts that weekend. i think we had enuff spares we could of built a rig.
bailey

Post by bailey »

Originally posted by Nobody
Now I run stock fullsize bronco leafs, and it works very well for what it is. Definately better than the skyjackers.
Are the Fullsize Bronco leafs 2.5" wide like the Rangers? Or are they wider (or narrower like the EB)? Did you use stock springs - how much lift did they provide in the B2. Or did you use Fullsize lift springs? I will probably chop my top when the rear side glass breaks, and it would be good to know what to look for.

When you chopped you top, aside from the reduced flex with the SJ leaves, did ride height increase by much? How heavy is the top + glass, would you say?

Thanks.
1988 B2
d44/9"
tired 2.9L
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

bailey wrote:
Are the Fullsize Bronco leafs 2.5" wide like the Rangers? Or are they wider (or narrower like the EB)? Did you use stock springs - how much lift did they provide in the B2. Or did you use Fullsize lift springs? I will probably chop my top when the rear side glass breaks, and it would be good to know what to look for.

When you chopped you top, aside from the reduced flex with the SJ leaves, did ride height increase by much? How heavy is the top + glass, would you say?

Thanks.
They are 3" wide. I built my own hangers. I used stock fullsize bronco springs. I ended up with more lift than the 4" skyjackers, but much of that was from the home made hangers. I think the 2.5" f-150 springs would work well too with homemade hangers.

I always said I'd chop my top when the glass breaks....well it doesn't break. I can't count the number off times I bounced hard off of trees etc..... I even rolled it....and rolled it back over without breaking the rear glass! Can't say as much for the windshield :rolleyes: However a few years prior to the roll, a neigbor did break one when his lawn mower threw a rock through it. Must have been like a bullet. I was working 70-80hrs a week at the time and couldn't deal with chopping the top.

When I chopped the top, the rear definately came up some. Probably less than 2". I don't know how much the top weighed, probably less than 200lbs though.

I keep meaning to do a short write up on my rear suspension. Just haven't gotten around to it. I've discussed it a few times on the forum and posted some pics though. Keep bugging me and I might actually get it done since I know there is interest.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you know I run the 3" 79 leafs on mine and even though I didn't swap them to the BII frame, they still work well. maybe from being matched well with the front springs? I even have the add a leafs and they worked good.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com