Dana 44 leaf spring conversion?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
gullion_a86

Dana 44 leaf spring conversion?

Post by gullion_a86 »

I was looking at TRS and I noticed in their Tech Library that I can put a leafsprung Dana 44 front on it. I was wondering if anyone has any info about this conversion? I really don't like coils up front.
Bob Myers

Post by Bob Myers »

Why you no like coils? They ride better, flex better, and are easier to fab in for a 44 swap. Unless you are going toload the front end down with a heavy snow plow I would think you would be happier in the long run with coils
88 BII,4.0, 9"& D44/4.88 locked. 1350/1354 doubles
92 XJ-wifes toy
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I think the only difference between the two is the leafs will bump on stuff when you are wheelin. if either system is set up right it will work well. I think most people keep the coils for the fact that they already have coils.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I agree with DBrown that it all depends on preference. Even the new F-250's and 350's come with coils. The coils do provide a more comfortable ride up in the front and the are becoming more durable. It seems that almost every rock buggy is using them. The leaf springs take less moving parts to make work and thay are proven in durability. I have used both and it seem to be easier to get better articluation with with the leaves without doing major mods but since the R10 chasssis already has provisions for the coils and radius arms it all depends on how much work you will want to do. Good Luck :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Q: What suspension has a better approach angle?
A: Coils.

Q: What suspension doesn't have any axle wrap?
A: Coils

Q: What suspension keeps your driveshaft angles in check and doesn't require long slip shafts?
A: Coils

Q: What suspension is easier to swap into a Bronco II?
A : Coils

I'm sure there's more, but you get the point.

One of the big problems with putting is leaf springs on the Bronco II/Ranger is the design of the frame. You either need to put your shackles in front, or build big 'ol drop hangers up front.

I still have leafs in the rear, and I don't really have any desire to change that. Obviously leafs can work just fine front or rear, but on our trucks, I believe it's more work for less performance to put them up front.

If you're dead set on leafs, go for it. Then let us know how it works!
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I think that coils are easier, have some advantages over leafs, and personally used them. But I have to disagree about them giving more flex. I have seen alot of pics of leafs with mad flex, but as Nobody said flexy leafs give crazy driveshaft angles and axle wrap. Here one exaple of flexy front and rear leafs, forgive the pass side pumkin, and the driveshafts are connected yet - but its not mine:
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
crazy4ink

Post by crazy4ink »

Could you post the link to where on TRS you found this. I just looked in the Tech Library and didn't see it anywhere.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I guarantee that truck will have very serious axle wrap problems. He's getting all that flex because he doesn't have the clamps on the springs, so the main leafs are just stretching. Not to mention he doesn't have shocks, steering or driveshafts hooked up.
crazy4ink

Post by crazy4ink »

I understand what you are saying, but I was just thinking that welding on some hangers and bolting on some shackles would be easier than trying to find an axle that will work with the radius arms and then getting all that worked out.

What solid axle would you recommend if I were going to keep my coil springs?
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Just say no to leafs! They suck big time! i had them on my bronco and they were useless. I had alot of flex but also alot of axle wrap making them useless off road. Crap for aproach angle. Steering sucks because the leafs get in the way. I dumped the front leafs as soon as i got a coil setup! It worked way better! now i run air bags but i would take the coils any day over the leafs. It was really easy to put the coil front in to! way more work to put the leafs in there. Leafs will crumple over with heavy off road use. I have gone threw more leafs then i would like to admit. I toasted two front leafs and three rear leafs and never had a problem with a coil! Im going to junk the rear leafs as soon as i got some money! just dont do it i made that mistake befor to!
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

What solid axle would you recommend if I were going to keep my coil springs?
you have alot of choices..........the most popular are the D30, D44, and D60.
the D44 will probably be the best because of cost and the weight of your truck. now you have to figure out what you want in your axle.......high pinion or low pinion, full width or EB width, disk breaks or drum breaks, king pins or ball joints.......and finaly what we have been talking about leafs or coils.

the EB D44 is lowpinion, drum brakes, ball joints, around the same track width as what you have now and coils.

the D44 from a 78-79 Bronco is full width, high pinion, disk brakes, and ball joints. this axle is also cast c wedges, meaning you have to go coils.

the D44 from a late 60's F100 is high pinion, king pin, drum brakes, and wider then the EB. weld on wedges meaning you can go either way.

I think it is safe to say that you need to do some research and find out what all this is and how all this works together then pick what axle you want to run...... then go looking.

Mr. N over on pirate has good article up to help you understand all this.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com