Difficulty Rating

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Ive gotten to the d44 swap (cutdown) and that is 80% done. I have the engine bay cleared and alot of the 5.0o stuff disconnected. I havent even pulled the 5.0 yet... Im slow....
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

have you gotten the axle under the truck or supported the weight on it yet?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

NO! I am terrible so far. I have so many projects going right now. Our family room is in disarray because we are pulling up the carpet and finishing the hardwood floors, painting and installing new lighting & surround sound, its finally stopped raining long enough (record rain and snow this winter and spring) to get the yard/garden ready for spring. I am just about to go outside to get the swampcooler up and running because we went from 40-50's to 70-80's in a couple of days.

And with work, I dont know with all the snow thats in the mountains (most ski resorts still have 10-15 feet left, and snowbird is still open!) that I dont know if I am going to have to work some sort of road closures if the rivers flood like they think they will.

On top of that, we are going on a 8 day vacation next weekend that I am trying to get ready for.

So in short, I am a slacker and havent worked on the truck in some time. Mostly due to bad weather as I have to work on it outside, and now that its warm and dry, I have other stuff to do. My realistic goal is atleast get the engine/d44 put in by july (with donor truck taken away also). I need to get it together enough to move it out of the driveway, as I dont like it there. As soon as the front axle is in and engine in place then I will roll it over to it original spot.

Sorry for the rant, as its frustrating to me as you can tell. :mad2:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you'll get it all done. the big thing is to take the time to do it right, which I know you will do. I was wondering why we haven't seen any progress pic's from you in awhile........

I can relate to you on the outside thing. then I was still working full time and going to school full time it seemed that the only days I had off was when it was crappy out side. now I got alot more time but with that you keep adding projects to the list.

you might think about pulling the motor and harness to get rid of the donar truck. that way you will see alot of progress real fast and get more motivated about it.....just a thought. I know when I had to leave mine untouched for a few months I got really pissed about it and lost some momentum. but now that I can drive it and move it on it's own power I have gotten realy excited about wheeling it again.

Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

I AGREE! I got the 2.9 pulled fast, got the d44 cut down fast and thenhit a wall. It will get better this summ er I know. Anyway pics as soon as something new happens.
kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

Ok now im not very familiar with how to figure crawl ratios 78:36:1 or whatever or exaclty what that means. but my plan is dana44 and ford 9" with 5:13 gears and a 5L and thats all for sure. What i dont know is what tranny and tcase combo to use..I have a C5, an NP205 and a C6 with a cracked bellhousing and my stock electric BII tcase, thats what i have to work with, but dont mind looking for different parts if i have too. Im looking to run between 36-39" tires and have at least 75mph as top speed. Haha so what would be your suggestions?? The axle swap will hopefully be done by next weekend, then i start gathering 5L parts, and i already got the 5:13 gears. Any suggestions/info would be great.
Thanks In Advance, Kyle Oh and it is my DD, wheeled mainly just on weekends.
Last edited by kylebronco2 on Sun May 22, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 C5 Auto BII, FS Axles, 37 Swampers
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would stick to 36's and run the 5.13's with 36's your axles will live longer. as far as tranny are you wanting to stay auto or go manual?

kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

I would like to stick with an automatic...and suppose i went with 37s than and 5:13 gears with a 5L, could I use the np205 i have now? or what would my gearing be like? Will my acceleration be too high? Thanks
Last edited by kylebronco2 on Sun May 22, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

if you are wanting to go 5.0L and use an auto I would either look for a C5 and do the C4/C5 combo or just use a C4. the c5/c4 combo will probably save you some money and you can use the 1350 transfercase you have now. I haven't done any research to see if the 203 will bolt up to any of the c4's but you could look. you also have the option of looking in different full size applications like f150's and see what you can come up with.

kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

OK thanks for the info. I think ill just use the c5 i have now and mate some c4 parts to it, and use the stock tcase for now, then wait for something to break to give me an excuse to upgrade. :D
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I'm pretty sure that if you find a C4 it will bolt to the 205, as I have heard that all ford autos have the same bolt pattern on the back to bolt the adapter to that goes between the tranny and T-case. If you have a body lift a C6 will fit in easily so if you can fix the one you have or find another one that would be the way I would go. Since you are swapping axles and stuff too I don't think keeping you stock T-case will save you anything, and I wouldn't run 37s on the C5/C4 tranny and the stock T-case. For gearing 5.13s with 37s will give you good acceleration and be running at around 3100 RPM to go 65, so you will be able to go 75 without running it too hard. If you go smaller on tires the RPMs go up to get the same speed, but you will have a better take off. Here's a link to a chart the shows you what RPM common ratios and tire sizes give you at 65 when combined.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... chart.html
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

Ok thanks again for the info that helped give me a few more ideas. I think I like the idea of a c6 and np205 and I am gonna try to get that set up sometime in the near future. How much Body Lift would i need to fit the C6, i see you used a 3inch body lift, would a 2" lift work? Oh and also, I had thought the C6 had the wrong bolt pattern for a 302, or would i need an adapter?

Thanks Again
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I was thinking that not to many 302's were mated to a C-6 trans. Maybe a 351W in a 3/4 ton truck ( which would be the same bolt pattern) but I am sure that ford couldn't warrent using such a low torque motor to drive that big of trans. I don't know if the flex plate and torque converter would be balanced for the 302 though.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

I can't say exactly what will and won't work but here's what I do know. The C6 was made with both small block and big block bell housings, but as stated wasn't behind too many 302s because it isn't neccessary and the C4 is plenty. As long as you find a C6 that was attached to any small block it will work. As for the flex plate you just have to make sure it is ballanced to the engine, which if the one that is on the engine will bolt to the torque converter for a C6 you are set. I bought a TCI 2500 stall torque converter for mine and it bolted right to the flex plate from my 88 5.0 that used to have an AOD on it. If you swap the flexplate to match the tranny's torque converter that is when you cause balance problems for your engine. Mine has a 3 inch body lift, but I had enough clearance that a 2 inch body lift would work but be very tight when running the linkage. My linkage was a little tricky but out of pure luck the way i modified it worked the first time with no tweaking. I can try to walk you through what I did to mine, but with no expectations of it working the same for you. One more thing about the C6: depending on what T-case it was mated to it may have a different output shaft length, the ones mated to NP208s had a shorter aluminum adapter and shorter output shaft while the ones mated to the 205 had a longer cast adapter and longer output shaft. Make sure you get a C6 with the same length adapter and output shaft as the 205 so that they bolt up, unless you want to steal the output shaft and stuff out of the broken C6 that you have. I used an adapter from 208 with my 205 but it took some modification and I still don't know if the front output on the T-case is too close to the corner of the tranny pan to clear it when I put a driveshaft on, so I would recommend that you use the adapter and T-case combinations that were meant to be together. If you need any more info keep the questions coming and I will answer what I can without being near my truck to crawl under and look or measure.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
kylebronco2

Post by kylebronco2 »

ok well the c6 i have now is for a 351, so i dont think its gonna work, for the amount of work it seems to take to get everything all working good, i think im gonna run the C4 for now, I was looking around and I can get a master rebuild kit, and a shift kit for it, for around 100$american, in case it decides to stop working sometime. So ill see how this setup goes, and than maybe later down the line ill find a c6 and put that in. Thanks for all the info though, it really has been useful and im just looking forward to getin my rig put together and back offroad :redneck: