more air flow for my bronco

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
silent_killer

more air flow for my bronco

Post by silent_killer »

:D i have a 84 with a 2.8 carbureted and i want to increase my air flow into my carburetor :idea: i was thinging a K&N air filter with a filter lid... all around air flow but then again i was thinking about puting a hood scoop and a scoop pan onto my carborator... what do you think.. any other options open to me.
whats your inner clown
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I used a 10" in diameter by 4" K&N filter that worked well until it got cold then the carb tended to ice up. I found that adding a second air intake to my stock air box (Air filter box), that I took from another stock air box, provided enough air for the motor but still retained the heat riser tube from the exhaust to prevent the ice up. Also my air filter tended to last longer because it didn't get the full expousure to mud and water that the open element did. :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would just get a k&n filter for the factory junk. I think the cfm on the stock carb would be the bottle neck so you might want to up that along with the k&n......I have never been a fan of open breathers unless you are just altering past a point that you have to use one. mub dirt and everything else just gets shoved in the air filter and the flip lid mod and open air filters tend to suck more hot air in unless you get a funtional hood scoop.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
silent_killer

Post by silent_killer »

DBrown
I think the cfm on the stock carb would be the bottle neck so you might want to up that along with the k&n
you lost me on that one.. whats the cfm look like and how would i go about uping that :hmmm:
whats your inner clown
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

CFM is the amount of air that can flow threw the carb. unfortunatly you have to buy a better carb.......but in all honesty I don't think you are going to get enough performance out of a new carb alone. you have to make the whole motor breath not just the intake. when doing stuff like this you need to upgrade things at the same time. kinda like exhaust and intake......remember if their is alote of air going in and it has no way to get out then it will not perform the way you want it to. yes, you might get a gain but it will not be what you will expect for the money you put into the carb. you might be able to grab a carb from a different truck and make that work but it would probably be a shot in the dark.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

Don't go with a 500 cfm (cubic feet per minute) carb. It will not give you any bottom end. Holley sells a center pivot 380 cfm that would work with the motor well. I've been told by some early bronco wheeler's that the stock motorcraft carb works the best offroad. In which I will agree that it works well until you kill the motor then it will flood. We did the headers on the 2.8 and didn't gain much. Since mine was offroad only, the best upgrade was when I took the cat out and installed 2 1/4 exhaust from the Y-pipe back into a Flo-Pro muffler and ran it out the back. It sounded good for a V6 and it would rev to your hearts content. Ask the 2 D28 differentials and the 6 sets of front axles, one rear axles and 2 rear diffs, three drivelines in the rear Etc.... :redneck:
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
silent_killer

Post by silent_killer »

i have been thinking about guting out my catalytic out.. i already have a glasspac on it. i dont off road all that much its mostly a daily driver untill i get my 79 datsun going again. i know im not going to get alot out of my 2.8. its old and warn right now im just tinkering around with it. Is there anyone else out there who has guted there catalytic out??
whats your inner clown