Hi-Po V6

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
dave-stjohn

Hi-Po V6

Post by dave-stjohn »

since I'm already here I thought I'd throw out this ?, does anyone make performance parts for the 2.9L I already have in my B2, or do I have to go with the 3.8 swap and get the hi-po parts from the those suppliers? The reason I want to hop up my V6 is, it would just be different and different is :D
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Different is $$ and waste of time for inferior results.

Even if you could soup up the 2.9L a decent amount, your tranny wouldn't hold up, and you still wouldn't have any low end torque.

Besides, 5.0L is different, has a huge aftermarket support, and will spank any 2.9L. At the very least, you would be better off with a stock 4.0L over heavily modified 2.9L.
dave-stjohn

hi-po v6

Post by dave-stjohn »

that is correct, but my thought was to just pep it up with say a better cam, headers and intake, as far as the 302, I haven't ruled that out, but how does the T-case and rear end hold up with a V8 in it? I just thought that with a V6 you wouldn't have to mess with so many mods as it would basically be stock mounting points, thanks a ton for your input.
85ranger4x4

Post by 85ranger4x4 »

yea dont listen to Matt :finger:

I went from my 2.8 to my 4.0L and I am really happy.

I know that headers and cams and throttle boddies are made for the 2.9. I wouldnt be suprised if there was a chip out there somewhere too.

I have seen people selling ported intakes before and I'm sure you could piece together some sort of intake system from K&N parts.

Ok, so matt does actually have a point, all those parts will run you a metric buttload of money (headers$600, cam$300, Throttle body$200, K&N system$100, chip$200) so the "go 5.0" point has some validity.

For me, the 4liter was the best balance of cost/fun/reliability. My 2.8 was at 150K and wouldn't pass emisions or get me up the freeway in 5th and it got 12mpg. All said and done, I think I had less then 2grand into the 4liter swap and I gained Fuel injection, 75hp, 80ftlb, and 5mpg (before I replaced 2 bad O2 sensors).

The problem with engine swaps, as you know is that you have to replace a bunch of crap and really REALLY dig into the truck, so that makes it a BIG PITA. On the other hand, replacing headers is somewhat of a pain because of breaking manifold bolts, changing a cam is a HUGE PITA (they arent in the valve covers, these are pushrod motors) The other mods really arent that bad though.

Basicaly, if you want to be able to drive your truck the next day, dont do an engine swap. If you want a V6 that goes really fast get a 4liter and put a cam (and all those other mods you were talking about) while it is still on the engine stand and then swap it in (and add a supercharger). If you want your truck to sound like a mustang and drive like a mustang on stilts made of jello then go V8.

Its all fun and games until...well its always fun and games.

Iain
http://groups.msn.com/bellinghamdualsportriders

85 Longbed 4x4
94 4.0L V6, 4.56 welded rear, L/S front, 32" MTRs
bigbronco2

Post by bigbronco2 »

It all depends on what you want to do with your vehicle. I bought into the 5.0 fad, got the engine and put hundreds into the heads and decided not to do it.
You can rockcrawl with a small 4-banger, that what a transfer case is for, it multiplies the torque many times over.
If you are into serious muddin', or your going to runn 35's or larger then go with the 5.0.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

matt is right........the 2.9L is something you shouldn't spend any cash on. when looking at a power plant you should look for something around 170HP/200+ftlbs of torque. the 4.0L will give you that and it will go into the factory mounting points.....the catch is the wiring. many people stop when they hear that. if you are on a budget and you want to gain a noticable difference in power from the motor then go 4.0L. if you want something more upgrade-able and cheaper on parts 5.0L all the way......the good thing is you have more options on the 5.0L. EFI, carb, cams intakes, heads, and the list goes on and on.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
dave-stjohn

hi-po v6

Post by dave-stjohn »

Thanks for the info, I don't plan on doing any serious off-road stuff, this is my back-up vehicle to rest my F-350, I just wanted something with a little more power, at the Pick and Pull in town I can get a 3.8, tranny and harness out of a Mustang for under $300 where as the newer 4.0 comes from the big yard (and the prices they want leaves you feeling like you just got a heap'in scoop of prison lov'in), this way I can build the engine and then drop it in, reducing my down time, I thought you could get V6 ceramic coat headers for $400-500, anyhow, thanks for your time and I'll let you know when it goes
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I can give you some info on the 3.8L.....I think they share the same bell housing as the 5.0L. bad news is the 2wd tranny will not work for you, all BII's came with a dumy transfer case. unless it was swaped out for a 2wd style tranny from a ranger.

also you do not want the newer 4.0L. you will want to look for a 90-94 4.0L. it will be a direct bolt on to the tranny.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There's no replacement for displacement!

A 302 made a significant difference in offroad performance.

For some reason people tend to think of a V8 as smoking the tires everywhere you go, that's really not the case. A mild V8 should have been in these things from the factory. It's just enough to keep up with traffic, up hill, with a headwind. Better gas mileage to boot.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

DBrown wrote:
also you do not want the newer 4.0L. you will want to look for a 90-94 4.0L. it will be a direct bolt on to the tranny.
What's the difference with the newer 4.0L?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I haven't done enough to really make a big compairson or to probably talk someone out of trying the swap, but I can tell you this much, the newer 4.0L is overhead cam, puts out more hp/torque......but if you ever change the oil in one it will scare you when you start it to bing up pressure. it rattles knocks and sounds like it is comming apart right there on the spot. I am pretty sure it has a differnt bell housing which would cause a problem also. the 90-94 4.0L hp/torque will destroy your factory tranny so the newer is just begging for disaster. if anyone has more info I would like to see, but that is the conclusion I have came to.

dave-stjohn

hi-po v6

Post by dave-stjohn »

I haven't ruled out the V8 totally it just may be somewhere down the road, the parts price and availability is very appealing, the 3.8L and tranny swap should be fairly simple, where if I do the V8 swap I'd be down for awhile, because I'd like to did it so it looks clean, I've seen some finished and they just don't look that good and I'm just hung up on wanting the V8 swap to look clean. I had another ? DOES IT MATTER WHICH HOSE CONNECTS TO WHAT ON THE HEATER CORE?
Not as mean, not as lean, but still a Marine. Good night Chesty, wherever the **** you may be.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

honestly........don't know, never really thought about it but I would think it doesn't make that much of a difference. the fluid will flow either direction and it works kinda like a rad. but the lines are side by side instead of top to bottom.

dave-stjohn

hi-po v6

Post by dave-stjohn »

that's what I thought and it makes sense, but it never hurts to check, thanks.
Not as mean, not as lean, but still a Marine. Good night Chesty, wherever the **** you may be.