4wd conversion?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jhestess5

4wd conversion?

Post by jhestess5 »

Would any one know what it would cost to buy all the parts needed to make my 88 bronco 2 a 4wd???
John estess
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

depends on what suspension you want to run and a few other factors.....
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
marinebroncoii

Post by marinebroncoii »

depends on alot of things. do you want it to be like a stock B2 or do you want it lifted, maybe even solid axles, V8 swap, and all that good stuff. It also depends alot on your area 4x4 parts are cheaper here than alot of prices I hear other people talking about. You might be able to find a 4x4 ranger, B2, or exploder with a bad engine for cheap, or if you are going all out a fulsize Bronco or F-150,250, or 350 with the axles tranny, t-case, and even a 302 to swap in together.
8-9" susp, 3" body lift, 39.5x16 TRXUS STS, 342 stroker, C6, NP205, D44HD mini spool-coil sprung, D60 limited slip, 4.88s
Happy_Jack

Post by Happy_Jack »

First of all your 2wd BII has a dummy t-case. You will need a real t-case. You will need a t-case shifter(manuel) or wiring and switches(electric shift). You will have to either cut a hole in your floor or get another floor panel for a 4wd with floor shifter (manuel shift). And a shifter boot. You will need a front driveshaft. You will need a complete front axle. You will need at least one of the brackets that attach the front axle to the frame.

You can go back to the stock Dana 28 front axle I would think for the least $$$'s. Seems folks are swaping out and going SAS so there should be those laying around. I would upgrade to the Explorer Dana 35 front if I was going to do it though.

Check the for sale/wanted threads for prices. I would guess $300.00 to $500.00 for a complete TTB swap. You might be able to locate a local 4x4 BII and buy it and swap out the drive trail parts then re-sell the other BII when you are done.

Do you have someone that can help you with it? What does your mom say about doing this? Didn't get a chance to see your tools when I was over there. Can you grind/chisle off the rivets on the 2wd front frame bracket? Hope your dad is doing well. Maybe you two could work on this when he gets back. I know it's tough with him gone. I hope you are able to help out your Mom. She must have a lot to worry about now and I hope your doing all you can to make things as easy as you can for her.

Hope that seat is working out for you. Take care.