rattling/thumping noise

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bIIcool

rattling/thumping noise

Post by bIIcool »

I have a 1990 Bronco II with a 5 speed manual transmission. Just last week I started hearing a rattling noise. It goes away when I press the clutch pedal down. It was present when in all gears and when it is in neutral. I had assumed it was the throw-out bearing. Just this weekend I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing. I am still hearing the rattling. I am confused about this. :wtf:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

did you check the play in the input shaft when you had the tranny out?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

this is exactly what mine is doing. don't know what to tell ya. main input shaft bearing?????
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)
bIIcool

Post by bIIcool »

I didn't check the transmission shaft for the main input bearing. I know I will have to remove the transmission again to check this. Is there anything else I should check? How hard is it to replace the main input bearing, and does it require any special tools?
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

not sure about the tools. let me know what you come up with. when will you drop it?
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I never repaired one of those but I would assume that you will need special tools. I would take it to a tranny shop or replace the tranny. the rebuild bill on these things is usually more the the price of replacement. some poeple can do the 302 swap for the price of the tranny rebuild.......
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com