Traction Bar!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Rockcrawler

Traction Bar!

Post by Rockcrawler »

Well after building up my truck and putting the 44's on my leafs were crying out for help! I broke the staps holding in the u joint so i didnt want to have to fix it any more so i built a traction bar! This thing kicks ass.
Attachments
DCP_3694.JPG
DCP_3693.JPG
DCP_3693.JPG (28.2 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

And this is what happens when your welds let loose!!! I was climbing a really steep hill and i didnt weld it hot enough so the weld let loose on the axle and then it took out the drive line (which was about to go any ways but that stupid u joint still is alive even after two breaks!) I welded the piss out of it this time and put a new yoke on it befor the end of the day and was wheeling again. (staying away from that hill sense thats were i broke the first time!!)
Attachments
DCP_3695.JPG
DCP_3695.JPG (18.89 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

so did you just use shackles to hold the front of that?
does it limit travel?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

how come you didn't run the lower portion of the traction bar all the way up to the flex joint? ground clearance? (not saying it's not strong enough but it would be stronger if you did)

btw you should take a intro welding course it will help you alot

you have my vote for ttc so long as you provide mucho carnage
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Yeah a class would be good but are gay collage is so useless that they canceled it when i singed up for it. As for the welds holding it was on a hill were my truck was wanting to go over backwards and i was on it with 44's so there is alot of stress on it! As for the traction bar it doesnt limit flex one bit thats what the shackle is for. It actully flexes more. AS for the bar running all the way up it would be pointless the bars are solid metal! I also dont plan on this being permanate i just wanted to wheel some befor i had to go three link and i was having to many problems with axle wrap. This whole thing costed me nothing to build so im happy.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

you have my vote for ttc so long as you provide mucho carnage

i second that... would love to see you out there might even try to stop in and witness it personally if they'll allow. i know they dont like alot of people up there while there taping.
Darker than your average wheeler!!!!
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

solid material :eek: that thing must weigh over 100lbs

btw never blame your material for breaking it has no control over how it is formed :finger:

it is always the fault of the designer/fabricator

are you gonna chop the rear end of your frame off and build a tube setup?
that would be sweet
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

nope im going to push the axle out to the rear. As for the desing it works great it was the welds at the axle houseing that let go. Im not really sure what your getting at though? and as for wieght its not that hevy because if you look at the bottom arm thats the solid metal and the top one is the same but sleaved with the same metal i use for my cage and front drive shaft which i drived on the sometimes.
broncoo

Post by broncoo »

i'm not really sure either