Help out my bronco

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
OCD4B2

Help out my bronco

Post by OCD4B2 »

My bronco has been pretty messed up lately :mad2: . It's a 1990, basically stock. After I stop, fully stop, and then put on the gas, it grinds pretty bad. I took off the rear diff cover today to see if it was the rear end. No metal shards, no chipped gears and nothing wrong with the pinion :wtf: . so I put it all back to gether and I thought that I was good to go. I didn't take the carrier out, just the cover plate so dont think I miss placed something. Ok back to it, I think it might be the drive shaft but i cant tell, there is no yoke, like the ford 9" i'm working on so i cant say. Can u guys help me out with this crap? I'm outta options..... :confused:
230,000 miles and she still turns heads
huffs

Post by huffs »

what tranny does it have?? and have you checked out the brakes???? :idea:
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

I have an A4ld, it seems fine, i dont think its it, the boot to the joint at the rear drive shaft has been broken off for a while and i think all that exposure has really killed it. I think I might look into a new drive shaft. :D
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You've got the CV style driveshaft. That's where your noise is coming from. Those things are notorious for going out. You need to switch to a u-joint style shaft, and your problems will be solved.
huffs

Post by huffs »

my only ecperience with the cv style ujoint in the driveshaft is on my eagle talon and when it went it started hitting the underboddy of the car...from the looks in my book they are essentially the same so if you get under it and it has any play in it then that is it otherwise min started making a rumble or somepeople might call it a gring when the ujoint at the pumpkin went out :mad: check em good jerk the hell out of em with the truck in neutral and no brake on. :confused:
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

yeap its gotta be broken :laugh: I just did what u said and it was squeaking and knocking where the boot was gone. I guess the weather aided it in its progress towards failure :D . U know where I can get a replacement for a cheaper amount? :confused:
Last edited by OCD4B2 on Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huffs

Post by huffs »

no clue i get all of my parts at my local napa...my AAA discount keeps the costs lower than most places :confused:
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

Ok sweet i guess i can try Napa or the store in town called "driveline solutions" and then I can get back to breaking other stuff :redneck:
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

duff sells a replacement, that is what I ran untill I sold the frame and driveline.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
OCD4B2

Post by OCD4B2 »

I know they do, but will it work on a 1990? I dont want to spend a lot so helping e out would be great :D
huffs

Post by huffs »

easiest would be to get normal parts but upgrading might be better...or check out a junkyard for a anormal driveshaft no cv style joints??????
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you will need to measure before you call, that way you know it will work.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
Trigger_2001

Post by Trigger_2001 »

www.junkyarddog.com I found a chrome bumper for $40 once. That INCLUDED shipping.
The Bronc Rider (is only 15!!)