Propane?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TNMAN

Propane?

Post by TNMAN »

I am about to drop in another 302 in the Bro3. I can get all the stuff to make it run on propane dirt cheap. I ride with a couple guys that use it and they like it. I am considering installing the stuff. Right now the only thing that is causing me to have second thouihts is the room that the tank(s) wiill take up. I don't have that much storage space now and with the tank and the extra..it would take up a lot of space. What are you guys thoughts on this?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have thought about that mod but I never got around to doing any research on it. what ever you find I deffinatly would like to see it. the only thing I was weary about was running out of gas on the trail.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
AlbertaBoy

my 3.5 cents

Post by AlbertaBoy »

I was also thinking about the propane thing. But I think it would be great for a fullsize with all the room. I wouldn't want to give up space for a tank and I wouldn't want to punch a hole in one underneath on a rock...can't fix that with soap or bubble gum...
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well if I did convert over to propane I would probably relocat the tank up inside the bed. it would be eiser to get to from their. I moved my fuel cell up their to stop the whole gas tank problem on mine.

TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

DBrown wrote:I have thought about that mod but I never got around to doing any research on it. what ever you find I deffinatly would like to see it. the only thing I was weary about was running out of gas on the trail.
I have 2 buds that run propane in their rigs. 1 is a BroII with a V8 and the other is an EB. Both rigs are far from stock and both are of questionable street legality. Both these run on 1 tank and carry an extra. Boith rigs carry the tanks in the rear of the cab. Joe...in the EB with 351 says he can get about 4 hours run time on a full tank. Thats pretty good 'cause 4 hours is a pretty long time..if you figure a total engine run time. I think I have a link to some info somewhere.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I would like to see the link if you could find it I am interested in the propane set up. when I get everything together maybe I can get down that way to wheel, and check out their setup.

TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

Here's the link. I have not looked at all of the info. What little I read of it...it apperas to give a blow by blow on the use of LPG in an auto.
http://www.wps.com/LPG/LPG-book-final.html
I have looked at the stuff on my buds rigs and it appears that there are 3 main components(other than the hoses and tanks).I cannot name the components, but....there is one part that regs the flow...there is another part that changes the LPG toa liguid to a gas..or vice versa(this component is plumbed into the heater hoes to prevent it from freezing up)....and then there is the part that goes on the intake manifold...the butterfly. The fuel demand is governed by eng vacumn and butterfly position. The guy that gave me the info link told me that that info was probably intended for street legal vehicles and at least some of the legal issues might not apply to us insane 4x4ers.
*I'll PM ya about a get together sometimes*
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Propane is cool because you get benefit of fuel injection with the simplicity of a carb.

I wouldn't even consider propane unless I wheeled with other people that use it. For me it just seems like it would be too much of an incovenience.

Also 4 hours doesn't come close to what I would need. Heck, last Sunday I drove 1.5 hrs, wheeled for 6 hours and drove another 1.5hrs home.

Now dual fuel would be the ticket. Some of the government vans we had in the military were dual fuel. Makes a messy engine compartment though.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

that is a good article, I will definatly call around about that once I get everything else going. carb's for $67.......you can't go wrong at that price. and I realy don't see anything wrong with running what he calls a "gas tank" for a replaceable cell on an off road vehicle. when I drove a forklift for a living I only had to replace my tank for the lift once a night and I worked a 12 hour shift. granted it was alote of off and on driving but even 4 hours of constant driving is good.

I plan on getting my truck on the road and wheelin by christmas. I know that sounds like a long ways off but right now my classes are killin me. so it seems feasable. if I get it done sooner I will PM you, but I still need to get the suspension done, fab a stearing arm between the column and box, hook up the slave, and fab up some front body mounts. if you get something to gether though give me a shout, I sometimes get breaks for a day and get alot done.

TNMAN

Post by TNMAN »

" carbs for $67"...my friends tell me that you should be able to pick up a system(minus hoses and tanks) for $100 or less. That a used one though. A lot of people have them lying around from back when everyone thought we were runnin outta gas..years ago..and usually sell the stuff dirt cheap.