HELP WITH 87 5 SPEED!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
newbytobIIs

HELP WITH 87 5 SPEED!

Post by newbytobIIs »

I bought an 87 B2 for a little bit of nothing for a play toy. Took it out for 1 night of wheeling and thought I burned up the clutch, not so sure any more. I can get it moving now, but if the rpms get very hi it almost acts like the clutch re-engages itself? I have changed fluids and that seemed to help just a little bit but I am stuck now. Any direction here would be greatly appreciated. By the way, it is a 5 speed.
88Bsquared

Re: HELP WITH 87 5 SPEED!

Post by 88Bsquared »

its possible you have fouled up the slave or the pressure plate if you heated it up enough the flywheel maybe warped and you engaging high and low sides but you wont know for sure until its broken down and inspected oh and here is a little bit of nasty info the hydralic line that goes from you clutch mast. cyl to the slave will more than likely crack when you move tran or take it off thats about a 60 dollar hose atleast it was for me i just had to replace mine in june the pressure causes it to basically fuse but yea ive wheeled in mine alot had her in holes with muddy water to the windsheild and heated the clutch up several times but after it cooled it was fine now when my clutch finally went it was from road travel it would slip and tack up then catch and go on the easy way to check too is find a time when the high way isnt very busy drive in 4th gear about 45-50 mph and use you left foot to push the break and accelerate at the same time if the rms go up and you hear it slipping then you had better be prepared to get her fixed hope all works out for you Jeremy Va
newbytobIIs

Post by newbytobIIs »

That is exactly what happened, got it into mud and water coming up over the hood and just assumed smoked the clutch. I cant get it going fast enough I dont think to do the mentioned test on it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to fork out the dough and get it fixed but didnt know if there was something I was overlooking, I''m used to wheeling automatics. How much trouble would it be to change it over to an auto? :beer: :beer:
Broncobenny

Post by Broncobenny »

Can you still find this hose for the 87 anywhere please help