Exploding Locking Hub Bronco II 4x4

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Fluxxx123

Exploding Locking Hub Bronco II 4x4

Post by Fluxxx123 »

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and have a question regarding my 1988 Bronco II XL 4x4. I recently had a 2 inch skyjacker lift installed with new leaf springs and black max shocks. Along with also redoing the tie rods, ball joints and camber/caster. I was in 4 wheel drive yesterday in the city and took a uturn and I heard a loud bang. When I got home I saw my driver side locking hub basically exploded. Do y’all have any ideas what could cause this?
Attachments
F9C0615D-3C0C-4BE8-B516-0FAD05EB94CB.jpeg
74B4C6BB-76E2-4F45-B23A-8EDAE1142868.jpeg
tekatlarge

Re: Exploding Locking Hub Bronco II 4x4

Post by tekatlarge »

It's possible that when the hub was turned to lock it wasn't fully engaged. a sharp turn could have stressed the partially engaged it broke the housing. Do you have a locker in that axle? lockers are hard on parts on the street.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
NakedDucks

Re: Exploding Locking Hub Bronco II 4x4

Post by NakedDucks »

You were in 4wd on the pavement?

Big no-no!!

The when you turn the front wheels, the outside wheel of the turn tries to spin faster than the inside wheel. But the diff tries to spin both wheels at the same speed. The front hub is the weakest stress point, and it gives.

Being that it was the drivers side, I'd be willing to bet that you were turning left to make the u-turn.