Buying a B2 soon! Strive for a 90 or settle for an 87-89?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
SSSnakeCharmer

Post by SSSnakeCharmer »

Alright so I'm looking to buy a BII really soon and I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not I should only buy a clean 90' or if I should settle for a clean 87'-89'. I'm leaning towards getting a 90' but a few things might change my mind.
1. Do all 90' BIIs come with the D35 instead of the D28?
2. Do all 90' manual BIIs have the M5OD or were some made with one of the other MT transmission models? How can you tell which one it has? Vin?
3. Do 90's only come with push button 4x4 or are there some with manually engaged 4x4? Do both variants have manual locking hubs? What is better push button or manual?
4. Is it worth it to wait for the perfect 90' or should I settle for an 87-89 and do the D35 and M5OD swap?
5. If at some point I decide to SAS swap and use a D44 will any of it even matter? Will the M5OD work with the D44 and SAS setup?
Sorry for the long wall of text. Help me out lol!
Lance Skene

Re: Buying a B2 soon! Strive for a 90 or settle for an 87-89

Post by Lance Skene »

Sometimes you have to take whatever is available at the right price and just go with it, and it depends alot on what you want to build. Personally I prefer the '84-'85 models with the 2.8 and the duraspark conversion... but Im not building an off road toy, I drive it to work every day and have a full size Bronco I can play with.

Swapping parts on these B2s is pretty simple so any year model can be a good starting point for a major project, but you have to be happy with it in the end so start with a body and interior you like and build into what you want.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
SSSnakeCharmer

Post by SSSnakeCharmer »

What's the dura spark conversion? What are the benefits? I want a trail rig but nothing too serious.
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Duraspark conversion is an electronic ignition swap for the german built 2.8L carb engine that is in the '84-'85 models, it gets rid off all the polution crap, computer. feedback carb and goofy electronics that are originally in the truck. Its about $750 to do it with all new parts but well worth doing, the end result is a very simple wiring system that is far easier to deal with, gets better mileage and more power... but it 'Only' works with the 2.8L in the '84-'85 models.

IMO... this is the best setup, but Im not building mud trucks, I go off road on hunting trips but otherwise my B2 is a daily driver so I need an economic truck thats capable... but not extreme, 4/11s and 30" tires, 4 speed manual, warn hubs, goes anywhere I point it. Simple and effective;)
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
SSSnakeCharmer

Post by SSSnakeCharmer »

Nice! I think I'll do some more research on this! I like 1st gens but looking under the good and seeing all the vacuum lines and wiring looks intimidating..
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

All that wiring and the vacumn lines get thrown out when the duraspark is installed, nothing left but the basics.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Parts list for the swap and basic instructions....
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... park.shtml

Ive done the swap on two differant B2s already and have all the parts for another one but Im doing a body swap on that truck first. First time it took about three days, second time one day. Its a simple enough job that most anyone can do it.

Anorher thing unique with the german 2.8 is that it has solid lifters so those usually need to be adjusted at least once unless its a low mileage truck, another easy job tho and it also helps with fuel economy and
HP. The same engine was used in Capri, Pinto, Mustang and probably some others around 1976 so it is possible to find most of the parts used also.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Guess I need to practice what I preach... have not yet put the duraspark in the B2 that I drove to work yesterday... little bugger lost spark leavin the parking lot so I had to get a ride home, pick up the f150 and tow bar and tow it home.lol

First time in 10 yrs of driving B2s so I cant complain... and all the conversion parts are here still in the boxes.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab